Author Topic: How much helicle?  (Read 5580 times)

Offline Kegan

How much helicle?
« on: December 13, 2008, 06:46:05 pm »
Now that I've gotten the shafts to the point where they're all tapered with pretty nocks and stuff, I'm looking at my fletching with a little disappointment- they're frankly butt-ugly. I was debating using my brother's fletching jig, but as you can see in the photo (that's not a full arrow on the left- just a piece I had lying around), the difference in helicle is substantial. Would this still be enough helicle?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: How much helicle?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 06:51:09 pm »
  An arrow with a helical twist , like the one on the right will recover very quicklt. But it will slow down faster and make a buzzing noise. Shooting short distance and through heavy brush it's great. The one on the left is about how much Twist I put in mine and have know problem if the arrows are splined right and matched.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 06:59:27 pm »
  An arrow with a helical twist , like the one on the right will recover very quicklt. But it will slow down faster and make a buzzing noise. Shooting short distance and through heavy brush it's great. The one on the left is about how much Twist I put in mine and have know problem if the arrows are splined right and matched.

I've been using the ones on the right (that style at least) for about a year now. They work fine up to about 50 yards, but eyond that kill with elevation.

I'm glad to know the left one is enough for accuracy, thanks Mullet :).

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 07:35:05 pm »
If your setup is tuned perfectly, you don't need any helical at all.  I like to run as much as I can get with my jig even if bare shafts shoot good.  I just like for that arrow to spin as much as possible.  It's like throwing a football.  The more spin, the more stability.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 07:47:44 pm »
I like the one on the left myself.  If the arrows are spined right you can shoot them without feathers. The only reason for a lot of helicoil is making flu flu arrows.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 09:26:25 pm »
Thanks guys. You've put my mind at ease. Now I can make them pretty ;).

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 11:53:15 pm »
Kegan, My fletch jig is a JoJan straight fletch. I usually offset so my fletching comes out about like the left one. You can fletch an arrow with totally straight fletching and the arrow will still spin because of the make up of the feather.  I prefer an arrow with a slightly offset straight fletch over helical because like Eddie said it is less noisy and a bit faster.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 08:52:36 am »
I'm with Shannon-I like a good bit of helical with hunting points. An arrow that will fly good with a field point may plane and do wierd stuff when you stick a broadhead on it. I don't take long shots at critters, anyway.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 11:25:26 am »
like pat, i usually use a straight fletching jig with a roughly 5 degree offset.  this is enough to give a good spin rate and still be silent.  i just finished a set of carbon arrows, that i'm using with a glass bow, with as much helical as i could put on them.  i'm figuring that with the glass bow i have some fps to spare.  it's shooting around 210fps.  i'm setting it up as a spare for a hog hunt this spring in case it rains.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy