Author Topic: fletchin tips- barrel tapered shafting  (Read 9851 times)

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
fletchin tips- barrel tapered shafting
« on: December 15, 2008, 07:59:35 pm »
  hey everyone,
  my names Jim, i live in north-western illinois, and have a huge, huge intrest in fletching. My experiences are in compound fletching only, so I think i need a new fletching jig, also. i've roved, and roved, and roved, for red osier around here, unfortunatley the only wet area around me is a small creek, offering ZERO red osier from what me and my other hunting buddy could find. so, I was at an indoor range saturday, and picked out some barrel tapered shafting, port oxford cedar, a little expencieve, but there good quality- and I want to make sure the arrows I make can live up the that reputation. so, I know the basics, but my real concerrn is the order that things go in. These are pre spined to 50-55, and are as straight as humanly possible, and by order  i mean like finishes, and sealers and such- and at what time to attach the fetchings, thats a big one on my list. so please, if anyone has some good, info, that would be greatly appreciated-- (please, if you have a set of arrows you're proud of, post em! i want some ideas for fletching size and color. This is going to be shot out of a nearly centershot hickory selfbow, if that helps.
                                                     jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: fletchin tips- barrel tapered shafting
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 09:42:22 pm »
   did you miss all the arrows posted at the top of this heading? ???
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 10:52:59 am »
I usually Cut the tapper for the nock,Then seal,then put on nock then the fletching,I use 4 1/2 or 5 in.Turkey feathers so can't help much on colors.I usually don't glue the nock ,just push it on and mark where I want it and then fletch.Then cut to length and tapper the point end and install the point. Then I nock it on the string and make any final adjustments on where I want the nock,so the feathers will clear the riser the best and glue the nock.That's about it.  :) Hope this helps. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 11:33:19 am »
Don't think you need a new fletching jig, I have a bitzenburger and it works fine on store bought shafts, shoot shafts and cane.
I don't get fancy with my arrows, no sense cresting them when ya lose as fast as I do ::) For a sealer just about anything will work, Tru-Oil, poly, spar varnish etc.
As for shoot shafts just start trying different things, if its straight and 3/8" to a 1/2" at the big end cut them dry them and try them :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 07:29:32 pm »
My advice is if you want to dye them use some water based aniline dye.  For a traditional looking arrow I use a dip tube with some thinned waterbased paint for a cap dip (usually white). Then gasket lacquer for the finish.  These are all non smelly products that you can use indoors.  For a more prim. look  I go with the same dye but finish with Waterlox a few coats and hand rub the last for a more matte finish.  And hand crest with some prim. paints.  For all finishes I glue the feathers with Duco.  Also if you are grinding your own feathers.  The thinner you can get the base the better they lay on the shaft.
Traverse City, MI

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 08:46:46 pm »
thanks all, I did see the post on arrows btw, i checked alot for fletching advise ;D dana, you said you had a bitzenburger- thats what im askin for fer christmas-the one i got is a plastic one from dicks sporting goods thats a straight fletch- i might just use that though. pappy, that helped alot, one thing I wanted to make sure of is when to seal, for some reason there was my concience telling me to seal at the very end, afer cresting and fletching. thanks for all the tips, i'm going to order some fletchings and start up, ill make sure to post the final product  :) -jimmy

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 06:20:27 am »
I would crest first,I forgot that cause I don't crest much anymore,but it is tough trying to seal with the fletching on. I have the bitzenburger also and have used it on all my shafts for over 30 years
Alum./wood /Cain/carbon/shoots.It works on all of them and has a lot of adjustments so
you can make the feathers lay down good. :) I have used a dipping tub to seal but most time I just wipe it on and lean them up to dry. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 02:01:11 pm »
jimmy, good to hear that you are making arrows. See Pine Shaft Hints, Making a Simple Arrow and Shoot Arrows.
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 09:59:28 pm »
thanks jawge, the simple arrow post helped alot, as soon as I fletch mine up i'll make sure to post the final product  ;D -jimmy

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 09:47:30 am »
You are welcome, ballista. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!