Author Topic: sinew prep question?  (Read 5254 times)

Offline paulc

sinew prep question?
« on: December 19, 2008, 09:23:23 am »
this is the first year I have attempted to save sinew from my harvest.  It has been a good year for me as I have 6 deer and a hog so far(all with rifle I must admit).  So I have "a lot" of sinew but I guess I really don't know how much is a lot.  So if a person wanted to sinew back a bow, how many deer is that?  And I did not scrape any scrap meat off my sinew so I need suggestions on how to handle the dried sinew and small pieces of meat still attached.

TIA

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: sinew prep question?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 10:55:45 am »
Paul: If you haven't dried them out yet, you need to scrape all the meat/fat off the backstrap sinew then stretch it out on something to dry. The leg sinew usually comes out clean enough to just hang up and dry. I like to use the legs for bow backings, and backs for wrapping and tying. four legs aught to be enough to back a bow.
 I've tried hammering and combing out the legs and just recently learned how to hammer and strip em. Just hammer between two rounded rocks, rip the whole thing in half, then the halves in half - so forth and so on till you get them small enough to start stripping the size of individual fibers you want. Time consuming but way more efficient than combing in my experience (less waste).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

AKAPK

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 05:21:03 pm »
I use a venner roller after getting the sinew pounded a little so I dont get to many freys from pounding alway experimenting even a rolling pin :)

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 07:00:37 pm »
Also if you will pound it and tear it into 4 pieces or so then put them in room temp water till they soften up a bit. It will be alot easier to get apart and you will end up with longer thiner pieces..