Author Topic: another river cane question  (Read 4467 times)

Offline deersled

another river cane question
« on: December 20, 2008, 07:56:40 pm »
do you want the node to be used on the point end or the nock end? I've seen where some cut the shaft so they can use the node at the nock end  and vise versa?

Offline PeteC

Re: another river cane question
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 08:17:50 pm »
I've seen them done either way,but I always cut my nock to end up in a node.When done like this ,you can even use the groove under the node as a guide for cutting the nock. I then use either a wooden plug ,or foreshaft up front. I've tried the node up front,but have much more breakage at the node,when built this way.Merry Christmas,and God Bless
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 12:18:52 pm by PeteC »
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 11:18:28 pm »
deersled: I've seen em done both ways too, I think it has as much to do with personal prefference as anything. I kinda like the node to be at the business end. Seems to me when your arra hits it's target - stump, rock, sapling, rib it takes a lot more shock than the nock end. I always wrap sinew just below my nocks anyway.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 12:05:14 am »
I believe it can be done either way or neither way. As long as you put a wrap below the nock or above the point the node doesn't matter. I usually try to put the nock close to a node but I don't know why.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 06:39:41 am »
I've only made one set of cane/boo arras but I did the node at the nock.  I plugged the point end.  I figured it would help the shaft not to split as easily when shooting.  Also I was copying some really nice boo arras made by KnightD ;D.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 09:46:41 am »
It's all good.:) I usually put the nock at a node because then you have a clear no-noded area to put the fletching on unless you have cane with really short internodes. I don't think it makes a lot of difference strength-wise as long as you wrap the nock like you would with any material-cane is tough, tough, tough.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 09:55:35 am »
if you are going to spine the arrows for a certain poundage, then the nodes should not be concidered for placement.  they will fall where they will. i, like hillybilly, try to have the first seven to eight inches clear at the nock end so the fletchings will lay down smooth but it's not important.  i just sand the nodes down so the shaft is smooth and even if a node falls under the fletching.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 03:34:42 pm »
Mechslasher- I just checked out your site WOW :o.  Those are some amazing arrows. Not to mention all of the other goods.
Traverse City, MI

Offline deersled

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 04:14:59 pm »
thanks alot guys. this makes things a little simpler. I was wondering how to cut the cane so they spined correctly and I had a node at one end, if that makes sense. Probably not.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 05:30:18 pm »
   when I cut Boo, I try to cut it about 4' long, just in front of a node and just a ways behind. And like Chris and Hillbilly, let it fall where it has to.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?