Author Topic: WHo shoots with a rest?  (Read 9520 times)

Offline Hickoryswitch

WHo shoots with a rest?
« on: December 22, 2008, 07:39:36 am »
I was wonderin how yall prefer to shoot off the hand or off a rest? Personally I've shot both ways and really don't prefer one over the other. I know with factory arrows it can be a painful experience shootin off the hand.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: WHo shoots with a rest?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 08:09:09 am »
Offhand....Turkey Fletch..........nothing but Cedar.....Spruce or Cane Arrows....and Turkey or Goose Feathers....if it gets rough on the Ole Thumb Knuckle....get a Deer or Goat Hide Glove.......... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 08:54:12 am »
I shoot off floppys.

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 09:15:08 am »
Both for me, but mostly I shoot off a rest. I shoot my yew warbow off the fist, but I wear a specially made finger/thumb glove on my bow hand.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 09:29:25 am »
Rest, makes me more acurite and easier to spine arrows and more comfortable in hunting situations.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 09:43:30 am »
I  do add a couple of wedges of leather as a rest for several reasons. I like being able to keep an arrow nocked while sitting using a little pressure  from the forefinger of my shooting hand. I feel a gain a bit more accuracy. I hate those little cuts I get on  y shooting hand even when I skive and wrap the leading edge of the fletching. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 10:11:46 am »
I've shot off of my hand, I've made small leather arrow rests but now I use a floppy. It gives the feeling of shooting off the hand but protects your hand from the fletching.  I always wrap the forward end of the fletching but like George, those little nicks seem to happen anyway and especially on old skin like I'm getting for some reason.  ::) The floppy does the trick and protects my hand.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 10:49:56 am »
Either way, but I usually glue on a little wedge of leather or a floppy. I despise cut-in shelves on a selfbow. :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 12:21:24 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 10:53:29 am »
Off the hand using arrows with carefully wrapped fletching.  I've used a rest and I guess it makes shooting more comfortable....but I prefer the simplicity of a bow without a rest.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Postman

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 11:28:13 am »
I've been making cutout shelves so far, only 3 shooter selfbows and a coupla board bows under my belt, though, and I feel more comfortable as a beginner  shooting this way.I typically have to get setup quickly after work for evening hunts, so I prefer taking as little as possible with me in the woods.  I hunt mostly off the ground in improvised blinds, or in low-level tree setups, with just a butt cushion, and like having a shelf  - it helps me wait motionless with an arrow ready. I also prefer the simplicity and challenge of a tree-stand-less hunt. Have had several close opportunities this year, (no good shots aside from a suicidal button buck I've let slide 3 times - he spends some time on my property, so I want to watch him grow up at least another year. ).have only 2 hunts or so left......Pressures on ;D
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Ian Johnson

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 11:29:12 am »
I do

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 11:30:29 am »
Mostly off the knuckle and haven't been cut yet :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline PeteC

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 12:22:46 pm »
I use both too.But ,on the bows I intend to hunt big game with,I prefer a rest of some sort,usually made of the same wood the bow is,covered with leather.It 's an accuracy factor with me. Merry Christmas,and God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 01:28:14 pm »
Pat, shooting off your hand must have really hurt. LOL. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline david w.

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 01:44:41 pm »
On my stiff handled flatbows I always cut in a rest.  If i make a narrow d bow i shoot of my hand
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo