Author Topic: WHo shoots with a rest?  (Read 9518 times)

salad days

Re: WHo shoots with a rest?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 01:46:59 pm »
I used to shoot off the nuckle but change to a leather rest so I could keep an arrow nocked all the time. I tape a tiny piece of primitive manilla envelope colored with a brown sharpy on the outside of the rest to make sure the arrow does not fall off. Of course I learned of all these problems the hard way. :'(

Offline Scowler

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 01:52:24 pm »
I shoot both off my hand and with a rest (depending on which bow I'm using).  I like both but I'm a little bit more accurate when i shoot off a rest.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 02:40:32 pm »
Off my hand all the way. More quiet, more consistent (so long as you place your hand in the same spot each time), doesn't endanger the bow's integrity, and is alot easier to put on a bow ;).

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 03:21:26 pm »
I do both but I prefer of the knuckle...floppy rest is best of both worlds....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 05:16:57 pm »
Got tired of pulling those pesky feather fibers out of my hand.   I have started making just a little leather shelf,  and, man is that nice.  piper

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 05:50:30 pm »
weth selfbows, usually off the hand, with the lam bows I have they have rests in em- but i've heard great things about floppy arra rests-i'd use em if i had em ;D -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 06:22:12 pm »
  I prefer to shoot off a rest after an arrow came apart and went into my nuckle and hand. It's too sensitive now with the scarring. When I do shoot off a nuckle , I wear a leather glove.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 06:58:13 pm »
ive done both ways, a rest and off the knuckle.i prefer off the knuckle,never had a cut or a nick,although when i shoot my boo/ipe elb i tend to get a little sensitive
after a about 30 arrows or so,but  that thing is shooting 62lbs,all my other bows are at about 50 or less. the extra speed it generates is enough to get my knuckle a
little sore after shooting awhile. i can shoot hundred or so out of my others without a problem.

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline lowell

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 07:39:37 pm »
I like a small wedge of leather for a shelf.  First bows I cut a shelf but know I don't seem to like the cut shelf anymore!!

I think the shelf helps me in hunting situations!!  Seems I can do enough things wrong when a deer comes along!! ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 08:16:44 pm »
lowell- Amen to that-right there with ya ;D you grab an arrow from toy're quiver and realize the flethings are soggy as a wet dog from the snow, you pull it out anaways, because all of you're others are wet too, and you pull ot a blunt ;D that just happened to me saturday- haha
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 12:02:20 am »
Hi,  I've pretty much settled for shooting off the hand.  A floppy rest gives me the same feel, but doesn't improve my accuracy any.  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2008, 12:14:25 am »
Mostly off the knuckle and haven't been cut yet :)

Me too....and Me neither.... ;D......must be Da Yooper Hide.....Eh!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2008, 12:44:13 am »
its da cold air, it toughens up da skin ya know
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2008, 12:53:42 am »
I like an arrow rest.  I will cut them in or glue them on, doesn't bother me either way.  I have never had a bow come compromised because I cut a shelf. 
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Far East Archer

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2008, 10:37:09 am »
Well I make one before with cut shelf, quite nice to shoot.

Though, not quite same feeling as shooting off hand  :)
I like to be in control of everything. ;)