Author Topic: bow performance question?  (Read 3917 times)

Offline Hickoryswitch

bow performance question?
« on: December 25, 2008, 11:33:26 pm »
I just finished a hickory r/d that is 62" ntn and 50 lbs @26". The bow is only 1 1/2" wide has stiff handle and the last 10" of the tips are narrowed alot. It is rawhide backed and tempered belly. This bow should have a good deal of string follow but for some reason does not. Shouldn't it?  So I was wonderin why not? Just unstrung the tips are about even with the handle and an hour later 1/2" or so past it. I've built several overbuilt bows that followed the string more than this even with belly tempering. What gives? Thanks ahead of time guys.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bow performance question?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 01:38:33 am »
   Tempering the belly probably  has a bunch to do with it and dry winter conditions help too, especially with hickory.        Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 02:22:29 am »
R/D....  The deflex is there to take some of the strain off the wood that a straight or reflexed bow would have.  Sounds like it worked.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 02:43:11 pm »
 I dont know much about raw hide backings but do  have experience with hickory,  and i would say that it must be the backing keeping the bow reflexed  . It must have shrunk nicely as it dried and now takes a lot of the tension off the wood, ( i could be wrong though) Very interesting, because i've been considering rawhide backings for a while
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 02:47:44 pm »
   I would suspect that your winter weather is pretty dry. Hickory can vary quite a bit in density also, you may have a slightly denser than normal stave. Steve

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 08:03:22 pm »
   I would suspect that your winter weather is pretty dry. Hickory can vary quite a bit in density also, you may have a slightly denser than normal stave. Steve

I'm with Badger- really dry hickory can do some wicked things :).

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 08:52:32 pm »
I just hope the rest of the staves do as well asa this one did. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. I think this is the fastest shooter I've made yet. Too bad I don't get to keep it.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Fundin

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 03:49:56 pm »
A same dimensions hickory bow designed as per Badgers formula may end up perfect with low set from 30-60# in my experience, alrge variation in quality of hickory, also as mentioned earlier, dry conditions can really make it shine.