Author Topic: Hazelnut bows  (Read 8228 times)

Offline parian

Hazelnut bows
« on: December 30, 2008, 03:36:32 pm »
Hi Guys
I'm new to the forum and find it a mine of infomation,
here in the UK the bushcraft forums say that hazel is not a suitable bow wood as a set remains in the bow after its strung but I see a number of build alongs here for this bow and would be grateful for any comment or advice

Ian

Badbill

Re: Hazelnut bows
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 04:01:24 pm »
Are you kidding? The guys on here only take "It can't be done" as a challenge. Why I've seen a couple of bows on here made with nothing more than spit, and toilet paper. They still pulled #45 at 28". ;)

Offline parian

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 04:16:51 pm »
Are you kidding? The guys on here only take "It can't be done" as a challenge. Why I've seen a couple of bows on here made with nothing more than spit, and toilet paper. They still pulled #45 at 28". ;)

I understand what you say and I too love a challange, I have access to coppice of privet & hazel, the hazel wands are over 6' long with a diameter of 3" or more and streight as a pole, what I'm asking is how best to use them as a bow wood

Ian

Badbill

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 04:20:55 pm »
I know, I was just jokeing around with you. One of the more seasoned guys will probably give you a whole buildalong.

Offline parian

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 04:44:53 pm »
I know, I was just jokeing around with you. One of the more seasoned guys will probably give you a whole buildalong.

I know  :) and yor right some of the guys on here can work magic with a stick and a piece of string,
Iv'e been looking at justins tutorial for a hazelnut bow, mind blowing and something to aspire to

Offline BryanB

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 05:12:22 pm »
Check Gordon's build along in the how to section.  Probably the best I have seen.
Also, I hunt elk with a 67# hazelnut bow.
Bryan

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 07:08:25 am »
Do you have access to Hazel or Hazelnut?  I think that they are two different types of wood?
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 11:56:18 am »
I have a hazlenut stave that BryanB gave me. I've been doing a little here and there on it but need to get back and finish it up. The wood seems very light to me but I'm used to using osage.
...and Bryan is right about Gordon' bow and build along. Check it out.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 11:43:15 pm »
Hazelnut will make a fine bow, particularily if the belly is heat treated.
Gordon