Linked Events

• Annual Tennessee Classic: May 01, 2009 - May 03, 2009

Author Topic: 12th annual Tn. Classic who's coming  (Read 418721 times)

Offline Little John

Re: 12th annual Tn. Classic who's comming
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2009, 12:54:26 pm »
You got it Ronnie.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2009, 01:22:37 pm »
I know this is about the tn classic but I was just wondering if there were any bushcraft gatherings in or close to north alabama? I still have alot to learn and do before I go competing

I don't think you'll find "bushcraft" gatherings outside of the United Kingdom, but this question is like a man standing knee-deep in water asking where he can get a drink. :) The TN classic is fairly close to north Alabama, and has lots of primitive skills stuff going on. I don't know of a better place to learn to build bows. there's always a lot of knapping going on, arrow making, firestarting, a little of this and that. It's not one of those primitive gatherings where hundreds of dreadlocked hippies dance naked around the fire and chant at the full moon, but it's a great time and a great place if you're more interested in actually learning how to do stuff than you are in smoking doobies and singing kum-bah-ya. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #167 on: January 17, 2009, 01:24:52 pm »
Pappy you are right about the magazine doing the classic proud. About the best issue yet.  Long trip for me but can't imagine missing it, will have to see how things shape up with money and the work schedule. Again hoping to enjoy this fine event and all the best folks any where.   Kenneth

Kenneth....It is probably the same distance for You or I....it's 950 miles for me....if you decide things are too tight but you have the time to go ....and splitting the expenses would help....let me know...and instead of taking my Scooter...We could pile into the Shelby....or maybe I could talk my Wife out of Her Truck for a Week....it's a Thought....a lot closer to drive to Borger Texas...then split the Trip...if you know what I mean..
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Caveman

« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2009, 06:06:23 pm »
 [/quote]

I don't think you'll find "bushcraft" gatherings outside of the United Kingdom, but this question is like a man standing knee-deep in water asking where he can get a drink. :) The TN classic is fairly close to north Alabama, and has lots of primitive skills stuff going on. I don't know of a better place to learn to build bows. there's always a lot of knapping going on, arrow making, firestarting, a little of this and that. It's not one of those primitive gatherings where hundreds of dreadlocked hippies dance naked around the fire and chant at the full moon, but it's a great time and a great place if you're more interested in actually learning how to do stuff than you are in smoking doobies and singing kum-bah-ya. :)
[/quote]

Hillbilly, you sure are a character. I know that there are alot of get togethers but most of them specialize in one skill, and its usually the same skill over and over. I dont know about any hippie gatherings but me and my kin have been known to have some pretty festive ho-downs. Gotta love that home made spirit.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #169 on: January 17, 2009, 07:09:30 pm »
Dang Steve ya mean I have to cut my dreads off and I can't dance naked and howl at the moon :o
Might have to rethink coming down ;) :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #170 on: January 17, 2009, 07:18:38 pm »
Dang Dana....kinda hit close ta Home for Me....Longhair and Doobies.........Kinda hurt my Feeling........the One I have left that is.... >:D

And I always liked Cum Bay Ah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdclHKZ2ZXE&feature=related
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 07:22:04 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Little John

« Reply #171 on: January 17, 2009, 10:35:00 pm »
Michael, thanks for the offer. it is probably 500+ miles from my house to yours + 950 more so makes for a very long road trip. Last year I worked a half day thursday and made it to the airport in Durango for an early PM flight with a two hour layover in Denver and to Nashville. Made it to Pappys place about midnight in a rental car. Had all day friday and Sat. and half day Sunday, made it home about nine oclock Sunday night  and back to work Monday. Seems like the air fare and car rental was about 500 or less. any way it is cheaper for me than missing extra days of work and I might need the extra days off for hunting season. Again thanks for the offer and hope to see ya there.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline sodbuster

« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2009, 10:44:56 pm »
king ron ill be  there  with bells on  what about a jar 4  me   sodbuster62

Offline sailordad

« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2009, 11:37:23 pm »
well i have read every post on this thread and if the classic is this much fun
well then damn it sure would be fun to go and finally get to meet ya' all.
dont know if me and the misses can make it or not :-\
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2009, 01:17:03 am »
I've only been to the last 2 Classics but it has become #1 for me in archery shoots and/or gatherings. The main reason is Pappy and the Twin Oaks guys(and their gals) and the hospitality they pour all over you. Having the gang from Primitive Archer and watching all those bows being built and the assistance that is available and willing really makes you feel like you are somewhere special. Heck, it even draws PBR swilling Transylvanians from Germany. Can't get much better than that...unless Kenneth shows up again! 8) 8) 8) Bring your water wings Kenneth! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cracker

« Reply #175 on: January 18, 2009, 08:52:32 am »
I gotta say it is one of the few places I've been that I actually felt welcome and not just welcome to spend my money. The Twin Oaks guys really went out of their way to let you know that you really were welcome.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Caveman

« Reply #176 on: January 18, 2009, 09:32:31 am »
so whats this classic thing really about. for the most part, I hear alot of archery. not having even begun to have a bow, shafts, or points ready, I feel I'm really missing out. I have a deep and sincere need to excel in all things primitive. I know it may sound lame to a few of you but I have this unknown determination within me to know all that I can, but with so little time and even less hands on training... I dont know how to get on the lvl I want to be on. I would feel much better learning directly from a veteran of the crafts. I have a tendency to falter otherwise.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #177 on: January 18, 2009, 10:32:08 am »
Caveman pick up the new issue of Primitive Archer magazine, there are some good articles in there on the Tennesse Classic and peoples
experciences there. The Classic is a shoot open to selfbows and FG bows, and then there is a selfbow challenge, you bring a stave or buy one there
for a minimal price, build the bow and shoot it for score on Sunday. there is bow building going on from before sunup to long after sundown. Lots of veteran bowmakers there to lend a hand and offer tips. In addition to the bow building you will most likely find people practicing fire making, arrow building, string making, cordage making,
atlatls, flintknapping etc. As if this wasn't enough there is good food, ,aking new friends, reuniting with old friends and an all around good time :)

As for you wanting to excel in all things primitive, there are no shortcuts, it takes hard work, dedication and time. And just when you think your really good at something someone else comes along even better. But thats just life in general, I see your only 23 years old you have many years ahead of you to practice, don't be in a rush rather take your time and savor each new experience. Life is short so why rush through it :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Little John

« Reply #178 on: January 18, 2009, 10:55:10 am »
Caveman - this is definatley the place for ya. Any way you have plenty of time to get a bow made before handand make one there also.

Pat - You are right, a primitive air matress might come in handy at the Classic. If the water rises too much during the night you could just float around on your bed and not have to make a run for the primitive car.
                                                                                                       Kenneth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2009, 12:14:24 pm »
It's all about the journey and not the destination!   I hope the destination is never achieved because then the fun is over!
   If I could only go to one archery event a year , the Classic would be it! 8)  You will learn more about building wood bows and be able to discuss wood bow building with some of the best wood bow builders around...and you will walk away with a feeling of accomplishment and a beautiful bow you made yourself. Throw in eating good food, laughing until your belly hurts and best of all becoming a member of the Primitive Archer family; what more could you ask for.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC