Author Topic: in need of half draw help  (Read 3296 times)

Primitive Kid

in need of half draw help
« on: January 02, 2009, 08:29:08 pm »
Ok so I have been shooting instinctive for all my years of hunting with a bow.
But it wasn't until lately that I started having half draw problems with closer range targets. Any help on fixing this will help out allot. please and thank you

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: in need of half draw help
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 01:45:04 am »
Practice coming to full draw without shooting. Just let down and go again. Concentrate on your draw and your anchor with each pull. Once you can do this constantly get close to the target(10' or so) draw and release. Don't worry about where you are shooting. Concentrate on your draw and your release. 
   Are you over bowed?  You might try going down a few pounds and see if that helps.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline boo

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 01:59:42 am »
one thing i do is get a bow about ten lbs heavier and get five yards from my target and shoot with my eyes closed concentrating on full draw and my anchor . when im shooting allot ill do this every day for twenty arrows before i shoot the bow i want. this has helped me a bunch over the years. and if you dont have a heavier bow just do the same with the bow you have.
Boo

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 07:02:31 pm »
Close your eyes and train yourself to shoot after you've hit anchor and paused. If you have no visual cues to trip you up, but practice solely on your form, you can retrain your muscles.

Primitive Kid

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 01:31:03 am »
K thanks  :)

Offline Scowler

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 11:39:45 am »
Whenever I start to have problems with my form I use the "blind bale" technique that Kegan mentioned.  However, when using this technique you need to move very close to the target.  I normally stand 2-4 yards away.  If not you may send some arrows where you don't want to.