Author Topic: Straightening tonkin cane  (Read 3256 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Straightening tonkin cane
« on: August 28, 2009, 08:11:30 am »
I've been straightening some tonkin cane down in my basement the last few days...late start at getting some arrows for hunting season. Yesterday I was working on the third one of the afternoon and it was a booger! It had more nodes then most of the others and was pretty curvey. I had spent a lot more time on it then normal and was thinking..."be my luck that I'll break it when almost finished". Well, while on the last node I felt it give although it didn't come apart in two pieces in my hand I knew it was a goner. Went ahead and snapped it into and called it an evening!

I've been using my heat gun on this batch, where last year I used a one burner stove. I like the heat gun much better...just lightly clamp it in a vise.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

Re: Straightening tonkin cane
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 09:10:50 am »
I do the same with the heat gun Greg, I also cull shafts like that right from the get go, no sense wasting time on them eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 09:28:54 am »
i had a few like that. man there is ALOT of time that go's into makeing these suckers, but man i love doing it.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 10:28:51 am »
Greg, tonkin is harder to straighten than most cane, seems like, a bit more brittle. I use the heat-gun-in-a-vise method a lot for straightening shafts, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 12:46:13 pm »
Huh... Never thought about using my vice OR my heat gun...  Usually use a lit can of Sterno cooking fuel and just sit outside and hand straighten them over the open flame.  That's with river cane though never straightened tonkin before... 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 12:54:58 pm »
Josh nice thing about a heat gun is you can confine the heat to small areas or you can heat a whole internode section.
Another trick I was taught for straighening a node is to wrap a wet rag around the shaft on each side of the node to be straightened
this keeps the heat in the node and allows it be gently straighened.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 01:47:03 pm »
I use the heat-gun-in-a-vise method a lot for straightening shafts, too.
Hillbilly, I think I first heard it from you about using the heat gun. BigA was working on a batch prior to my starting and was using a heat gun and liked it a lot better so I decided you guys had to be on to something... ;)

Another trick I was taught for straighening a node is to wrap a wet rag around the shaft on each side of the node to be straightened this keeps the heat in the node and allows it be gently straighened.
That sounds like a good idea Dana! I usually jump around on the shaft to allow the cane time to cool before I do an adjacent node, but I have noticed that I've undone some straightening by getting heat on it again when I didn't mean too! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 02:19:12 pm »
Greg I hope the fella that told me that trick doesn't shun me for passing it along :o

Manistique, MI

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 09:12:31 pm »
Greg
I found that when I was using my heat gun for straightening tonkin,  I was getting it too hot.  Which in turn was causing me to ruin lots of shafts.  A friend told me to use lower heat for longer and work on one section at a time then move to the next shaft and so on.  It takes me a ton of time but I ruin a lot less stuff.
Traverse City, MI

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 10:37:40 pm »
Yep! I hear you all. Been there done that. Working with, believe it or not, gooseberry as a shafting material. If I let it dry long enough, its prety tough stuff. Need to use for shaft and footing inserts though. Now if I can just get some time to work on my archery stuff some more! Never enough time or energy!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill