Author Topic: Justin Snyder's Bow is Voted Laminate Bow of the Year  (Read 24940 times)

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
Justin Snyder's Bow is Voted Laminate Bow of the Year
« on: January 12, 2009, 01:26:11 pm »
Congratulations to Justin Snyder of St. George Utah
His Remarkable And Short Bamboo backed Ipe is 2008 Laminate Bow of the Year

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,7923.15.html
Boo backed Ipe 50" TTT and 48 1/2 NTN 50# @ 26"  The static recurves are 6". Just over 1" wide from the grip out to 16" from center. The last 9" is a constant taper to the 1/4" tips. It has a 4" rigid handle with another 1 1/2" of fades.

It is a little on the petite side isn't it.  As skinny as it is and with all those curves I should have called it Super Model Bow.   I made sure I got it to full draw and square to the camera so you could see it well.
I had a couple of pieces of Ipe about 27" long.  Ipe is a beast to bend and I wanted tight recurves on this one so I had to get creative.  I cut a kerf cut 5 3/4" long into each limb tip. I then steamed it and bent it around my form. I have tried the kerf cut before and wound up with a tiny air pocket at the bottom of the cut so this time I cut and bent a thin piece of yellow heart and put it in the cut at glue up. I had to glue some of the recurve in because Ipe doesn't want to bend and wouldn't hold the tight circle I wanted. The recurve pattern is a 6" circle  so it is plenty tight.   I spliced the pieces with some deflex in them. When I glued it up I wasn't sure if I had enough deflex so I glued in a little more.  I couldn't get the bamboo to match the super tight radius of the recurve so I cut it just short and put on a 6" long yellowheart overlay. It has taken about 1/2" of string follow.
the handle wrap is horse leather sewn with yellow string to match the yellow heart accents.  I actually had string groves comming around and meeting on the belly of the bow and a groove comming down the belly of the recurve. After tillering it most of the way I started taking off the extra weight at the tips and took them out with the intention of redoing them.  The string lines up great and no matter how many times I pulled it they stayed right down the center of the recurve so I shot it.  The string still stays centered so I left it that way. Better to be lucky than good. I tried to bend the boo but it always snapped right before I got what I wanted. I thinned it down to 1/16" thick then boiled it, steamed it and used dry heat but it always came out straight.  It seams that dry only makes it stiffer while wet meathods had little effect. I know you can bend the heck out of the smaller stuff when it is young and green, but I don't think it even bends real well when it is older.
Just the right size for crawling around in the pig thickets of Florida.
-"wow! now thats a short bow! at first it looked like hickory and i almost winced. tiller looks great!" -The Burnt Hill Archer
-"Wow!! Thats awesome...I draw 26"..... .....Brian
-"thats cool brother, even though i've only made three bows so far(that have made it past tillering). i think ipe is aweome wood.hard as heck to scrape but well worth it.now dont get me wrong, i like osage also. however ipe is unbelivable wood,like osage." sailordad
"Hey Justin, you surely got a nice bend going on that little guy " -NOMADIC PIRATE

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Dustybaer

Re: Justin Snyder's Bow is Voted Laminate Bow of the Year
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 01:32:11 pm »
excellent.  the bend on this little thing is still the most impressive (and scary  ;D ) i've seen in a long time.  congratulations, justin.

and as we say in germany:  you da man   ;D

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 01:39:36 pm »
Congratulations Justin! Quite an honor, and well deserved!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Ranger B

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 01:40:46 pm »
Awesome Justin.  Beautiful work and well deserved.

Offline uwe

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 01:47:09 pm »
A really worth title for this bow!
Regards Uwe

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 01:50:03 pm »
Congrats Justin, this bow was a winner from the get go :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 02:22:25 pm »
Congrat's Justin on the double whammy this year ;D. She's a beut!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 02:50:33 pm »
great job justin.congrats. super nice job.  james

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 03:58:27 pm »
Congratulations Justin. A well deserved win. I really like how you kerfed the recurves into that bow - that takes a lot of skill and craftsmanship.
Gordon

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 04:04:05 pm »
Thanks everyone, the kind words and thoughts from such a great bunch of people means more to me than the title. Of course the fact that some of you felt inclined to vote for my bow amongst a pool of exceptional bows means a lot also.

There were a bunch of exceptional bows posted all year, and this is just one of many. My hat is off to everyone who has posted bows and participated on the message board this past year. Lets see if we can beat it this year with even more of these exceptional bows.

I am really glad to see that we got a few more people voting.  It would sure be nice if we could get this kind of participation all the time.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 04:49:22 pm »
Congrats Justin.  ;D Thats a heck of a bend you put in that little bow. Great job.  8)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Bowbound

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 05:47:43 pm »
Nice bow. Pretty impressive bend for a bow.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 08:03:23 pm »
Congrats Justin.  A worthy bow for BOY
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 09:11:23 pm »
Congrats Justin..I did mention that this bow is just the right draw length for me right??? ;D....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 11:40:43 pm »
Thanks guys.

Brian, I think I heard that somewhere. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah