Author Topic: Which kind of CANE should I plant?  (Read 5917 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Which kind of CANE should I plant?
« on: January 11, 2009, 03:17:44 pm »
There are lots of canes and bamboos growing around here.  I wondered what would be the BEST ONE TO PLANT  if I want arrow material in the long-term.   Give me a common or botanical name and I'll figure out what part of the yard is best suited.  Thanks for your input and expertise.   piper

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Which kind of CANE should I plant?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 05:48:01 pm »
Keith, Bambusa multiplex is a clump type bamboo and it makes excellent arrows. Being that it is a clump type it doesn't take over like most other bamboos will. I have seen clumps of bambusa that were at least 50 years old and they were no bigger than about 10" across the clump.   Makes good fishing poles too!    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 08:03:37 pm »
Pat-
What is the common name for the Bambusa multiplex?  Do you know if it would grow as far north as NY?
Traverse City, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 09:45:16 pm »
  I have Jap Arow boo growing in my back yard. I don't know the Botanical name , but I have to keep after the runners with Roundup.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 12:32:59 am »
Rick, it won't grow here  :(  so I know it won't grow there.    Bambusa is what we called it.     
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 01:04:29 pm »
Japanese arrow bamboo (Pseudosasa japonica), native swith cane (Arundinaria tecta), Tonkin cane (Arundinaria/Pseudosas amabilis) and some of the Sasa bamboos are all good for arrows. All are also aggressive spreaders. The Bambusa multiplex is commonly called hedge bamboo, and is only hardy to zone 8. It should grow fine in La., though.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline redwasp

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 07:42:25 pm »
what if you kept it in a pot inside would it grow the same?   (bambusa)
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 08:07:59 pm »
You better have tall ceilings. It grows up to 15' or so tall.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 08:41:12 pm »
 Like Pat said. The best arrows I have found of Jap Arrow boo is when I bend the 15'rs down and cut the top 4' off.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 11:21:51 am »
don't get in a hurry about harvesting.  i transplanted some jap arrow boo and some sasa boo to my farm about four years ago and i've yet to cut a shaft.  can't wait until it takes off!
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 11:32:36 am »
I have heard that when transplanting boo you should leave the culms full length or the rhizome takes a few years to produce full length culms. We planted a clump of bambusa at our hunt club about 6 or more years ago. It was just the rhizome with the culms cut to about 6" and the culms produced each year are getting bigger each year but not yet ready for arrows.   Pat