Author Topic: for those who have hunted with stone  (Read 9800 times)

Offline Blacktail

for those who have hunted with stone
« on: January 12, 2009, 10:52:20 pm »
this goes to people who have taken deer with stone...what kind of shape do you think works good for deer...i am thinking ones that are pointy might break before getting in to the goody spot....and if they are too wide i dont know if they will penetrate enough....so,what do you hunt with.john

Offline Blacktail

Re: for those who have hunted with stone
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 10:57:21 pm »
oh,i all want to ask...i have seen some points where they were notched from the sides and a notch on the base....what is the notching on the base for...like a cahokia...

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 12:02:02 am »
I am no expert but have taken a few species with stone points... my only suggestion would be get close, make sure the point is securely hafted and not too large for your setup...narrow is better, and if you shoot a turkey wait until it is facing away or at you.. their wings are like armor.. I had two points glance off of two different birds wing feathers at less than ten yards. with a sixty pound bow and six hundred grain arrows :( just my two cents worth.. hope it helps.. Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 06:28:50 am »
Altho it ant stone it is glass and the shape seemed to work just fine,like Hawk said get close and good shot placement is very important.No reason they won't do as good as steel if you follow those rules. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 07:17:11 am »
as for the shape.. look at the artifacts.. Primitive people killed game with stone for a long time.. i reckon they had it figured out :)
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 10:18:43 am »
If you can hit the vitals, the stone will kill it. I will shoot stone at anything I would shoot steel at.
Here are my obsidian hunting points. About 1" wide, 2 1/4" long.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 10:44:03 am »
I grew up on a ranch located half way between Cody, Wyoming and Yellowstone so had many years hunting with stone points.  They were jasper, agate, and obsidian and to be honest were poorly crafted as my knapping skills were crude! The points were primarily made from spalls found in chipping grounds.  Bear, moose, elk and mule deer were taken with stones and any shaft I could find.  Until this fall while hunting black bear in Canada, I never had an animal get away.  That was a poorly placed shot that caused that to happen and not because the stone did not do its job.  I used a recurve that was not any better than my arrows so had to be very careful to take only close shots that would answer the promise to the animal not to take a bad shot.  So my belief is that stones will do very well if you have good placement with a bow strong enough to drive the arrow home!  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 12:30:21 pm »
No fair Watcher, you were around during the stone age ;D and have fifty years of knapping on the rest of us.. ;) the fact that tens of thousands of people hunted every day for thousands of years with wood and horn bows, stone and bone points and thrived, is a testament to their prowess with primitive weapons as well as their effectiveness on various game species. (I can't remember the old indian who told me this) i think his name starts with Wolf.. ;D ;D ;D how many of us on here have made a harvest with stone points? lets see some pics brothers, or at least some stories of the hunts.. Hawk a/ho 
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Cromm

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 01:39:03 pm »
Sounds good to me......
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 01:46:39 pm »
When I first read the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be a poem or something (devoted to hunters who use stone arrowheads).  Shucks.... :-\
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 07:53:54 pm »
wow,you guy really did a good job on giving me info...i guess i need to start chipping them out...and get keenan to make me a bow ;D ;) ::)...john

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 10:09:36 pm »
 John, get Keenan to finish the Friendship Bow before he starts yours. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 10:15:34 pm »
ohhhh eddie.o.k. keenan you are working the swing and graveyard shift allso. ;D...

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 02:41:40 pm »
this is my favorite style.  this point buried a 32" cane arrow up to the fletching and busted a rib on the way out.  it's obsidian and only lost a very small chip from its tip to show for the effort.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Keenan

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 12:07:44 am »
 John I second what Eddie said ::)  My new year resolution "no more projects till caught up on the others".  ;)

Get to see the doc tomarrow to see if I can start tinkering in the shop ::) some more,,,,,,I mean again :-X