Author Topic: for those who have hunted with stone  (Read 9799 times)

Offline selfbow

Re: for those who have hunted with stone
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 10:39:13 pm »
I've been hunting with stone for a few years now. I have tried several different styles and types of stone. I have taken seven whitetail with them. I feel that the best design is a side notched like the Cahokia, made out of the toughest stone you can master. If the the head breaks off when you hit a bone, it will almost always break between the notches. With a corner notched, it won't leave much if any of the head left attached to the shaft. with a side notched, if it breaks off it will still have the base attached, and still cut if the arrow is still in the animal...Does that make sense

Here are two points used this year on deer. The side notched was used on a nice 8 point, and the corner notched was used on a doe... a compleate pass through.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 11:54:32 pm »
thanks for posting...i really like the style of the white one..but,i think that here in oregon that might be looked at as a barded point and we cant use that here....DANG IT...so the side notch is my olny bet.thanks so much again john

Offline BryanB

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 02:55:34 pm »
These are my favorite.
Bryan

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 05:40:36 pm »
well,well,well...look who comes rolling in.LOL...hey bryan good to here from you..i like the style of heads thanks for shareing...john

Offline Cromm

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 08:08:52 am »

Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 05:35:20 pm »
Keenan! You do know your wife reads the posts you put on the computer!!! Carefull she may tie you up to keep you out of your workshop. Besides, I need someone to help me lift boulders of obsidian out of Glass Buttes. If you cant help who am I going to get?  ;D ;D ;D

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 05:37:44 pm »
These are my favorite.
Bryan

Bryan, I like those points. What are they called and whats the top one in the picture made out of?

Thanks

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Stringman

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 02:25:05 pm »
Boy, I wish I would have been introduced to this way of life when I was a kid! I've been playin around with the primitive arts for about 5 years now and I'm enjoyin it a lot. I took my first deer with completely primitive gear the day after Christmas. Not sure if I enjoyed the huntin or the makin better. I will say that the point I used was sharp and not patterned after any other style in particular, just created in my head. The shot itself was a little far back so I didn't hit any bone, but I got my deer 

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 01:34:46 am »
Nice points bryan, is the top one burns green? David.. you know Keenan will use his bad back condition to get you and I to do all the digging ::) John.. just remember the tip needs to be at least 7/8" wide as well as not barbed, which you knew. glass buttes is coming up soon, good place to learn.