Author Topic: Mohawk Indian Bows  (Read 17901 times)

Offline horatio1226

Mohawk Indian Bows
« on: January 13, 2009, 08:58:39 am »
I was reading a thread on Mohawk bows on this site and began to wonder why I didn't have one of these bowa. I am the Cubmaster here in Coxsackie, NY in the Hudson Valley. I use Native American lore in all my ceremonies.We are famous for our flint mine. Natives came from all over the northeast to collect flint. In fact it is located on Flint Mine Road. We protect it as animportant site. Anyway, my great great grandmother was a Mohawk and I thought it would be nice to try a Mohawk style bow. Does anybody know where I can buy one or get one made? If you have one, could you please post a picture of it? Thanks! I'm a new guy here and love the site
Brian

Offline Cromm

Re: Mohawk Indian Bows
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 10:54:07 am »
Hi,
Welcome to PA.
How about making one? There's lots of people here who could help you out!!!
Thanks for your time.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 01:32:17 pm »
I'm sure you will be able to find someone who could make one of these bows for you on this forum, but it may be expensive.  I would definitely try making one first if I were you. ;)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline horatio1226

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 03:14:44 pm »
Thanks guys. I have some nice hickory staves but no time to make one. I would be willing to trade some staves for one.

This is probably half of what I have:

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 06:55:46 pm »
all that wood and you cant find time to make a bow.

sheez i wish i had that much wood laying around just waiting to have all the extra taken off of it so you can see the bow thats inside of it.
ya offering to give wood away might just get ya someone to make it for ya,wish i knew how to make it. i would do it for free wood.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 07:11:29 pm »
Hello Brian nice to see you on here. Somebody will jump on this deal. Those look like top of the line Hickory staves to me. Dean

Offline Dane

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 08:43:46 pm »
Brian, I just glanced at the Jim Hamm Encyclopedia of Native American bows, vol. I. He only shows one Mohawk bow, a beauty, made of hickory, a 72" recurved bow, with carved docorations painted red, and green all the way up and down the bow, and red yarn wrapped tips.

I live in Western Mass, and there was a lot of activity in this area that had to do with the Mohawks. And, I am very much interested in seeing and photographing the flint mines, as they are connected with natives from this area, back to Paleo times, perhaps.

Taking on this project will be highly challenging, and I couldnt think about it until at least the spring, but let's talk. 

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline horatio1226

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 09:57:02 pm »
Hey Dean! How are you? Should have known I would see you here. I didn't even know about this site until I decided to purchase a James Parker Bamboo Dragon recently and was trying to do some research. I got a bunch of those staves and can get more. I bet you been building some nice ones. I'd love to see some pics if you get a chance.

Dane, I would love to talk to you about it sometime. Spring is just around the corner!

AKAPK

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 12:48:04 am »
Ya mean one like this,I would do it But I live in  Northern california.PK

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline horatio1226

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 12:23:01 am »
Just like that one. It sure is a nice bow!

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 04:07:11 pm »
Or like this one? I don't know anything about it other than that it is kept in the Ethnografic section at the National Museum of Norway, and that it is sinew-backet :) Perhaps it is Osage?

Offline horatio1226

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 08:52:44 pm »
The similarity is amazing! Thanks for posting !

salad days

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 08:56:10 pm »
Looking at that arrow, you can see why other native americans feared the Mohawks. That really looks like it would leave a mark. :o

Offline Traxx

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 09:11:30 pm »
But,What i have seen in many museums.The way they have the arrow resting on the bow,they have it backwards.Those "Decorative" Nocks are not just Decorative,they are also to keep the string from leaveing the tips at full draw.That bow,is a sinew backed,Deflex Reflex style.Not a reflex deflex,the way they have it set up to be.Thank goodness,that string is slack and they dont have it strung up backwards,as i have seen many,in other museums.I even informed our State Museum about theirs,and got a look like i had 3 heads.LOL

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 03:36:42 pm »
Yep, that bow looks like it's strung backwards.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr