Author Topic: I love pin nocks!  (Read 8073 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: I love pin nocks!
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 10:22:39 am »
Nice work, everybody. Shannon, those look great. Ol' Pat B makes some mean modified pins, too. El Destructo, I love the paintjob on that recurve-don't be surprized if you see one that looks a lot like that some time in the future..... >:D >:D  :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

troutbum76

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 07:11:17 pm »
is it safe to use pin nocks on a shorter bow 52in if your draw length. is shorter say 25in? i am assuming that what i see wrapped is sinew maybe to reinforce the area below the nock? do you keep the same dimensons basically for pin nock as for side nocks 3/4 or 1 in down from tips? How wide is nocks? don't mean to hijack thread just think they look cool and want to know more.

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 11:36:33 pm »
mine are right about 1/4 x 1/4 and 1/2" long, but that's for osage.  If designed properly, they are tough as other styles IMO..  I could shorten mine to 1/3" long pretty easy and may do so.  I just started a bow that's going to be 55#ish with 1/4 wide x 3/8 deep pin nocks and it's going to be 46-48in with a longer than 25in. draw.  If you're really careful not to overstress the nocks during tillering, or just leave the tips thick until tillered you can run em really tiny, and with sinew reinforcing the tips you can have even less mass.  If you feel like using sinew you could just wrap some sinew around a micro tip and hook the string on that.  I'm considering that on my next bow. sooo light, soo fast ;D   -although it's tough to beat those killer nocks of Shannon's.  good luck, -nick
I take life 1 month in the Montana wilds at a time...

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 12:21:35 am »
hmm, how wide should I make my 46-48" D bow? 1 5/8 maybe?
I take life 1 month in the Montana wilds at a time...

nickf

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 06:59:46 pm »
I really like pin nocks, as long as they're made narrow ;)
love the 'modified' pin nock sawfiler!

Nick

Offline Kegan

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 09:32:15 pm »
Hahaha, like Pat said, I like pin nocks  ;D. Lately I've been trying side nocks, for looks, but still use them alot when a bow is just for "work", or when it's shorter than I normally use.