Author Topic: Blossom; A Dogwood Bow  (Read 29559 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Blossom; A Dogwood Bow
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2009, 08:49:39 am »
Dean, I really take my time on the handle wraps.

The following is how I lay one out:
Decide how long you want your grip to be.
With a ruler draw a straight line that length on a piece of paper.
Then with a string take several measurements starting at the top and working your way down. I measure so that there is an 1/8" or so gap to the front to allow for stretching of the grip material. Transfer these measurement working down the centerline of your first line depicting the grip length. Of course these circumference lines will be placed on your grip length line at their midpoints. Hope that made sense.
Then connect the lines with whatever natural curve makes sense.
I then cut the paper template out and try it on the bow. I usually fold it along the centerline prior to cutting it out so both edges where the front lacing will be are matched.
Tweak the template if needed, then use it to lay out your grip material.

I don't like a blocky style grip, want one that is comfortable to my hand which means it changes circumference quite a bit from the top of the grip to the bottom. The instructions above help get it pretty close the first time you cut out your material.

Hope that helps! ;)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:11:15 pm by GregB »
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2009, 09:05:25 am »
that is the most impressive bow i have seen in a very long time.  the detail and thought that went into it is astounding.  i would really like to see an article in the magazine on that bow with its first harvest, about the hunt and more detail in some of the process of what you di to give that bow its finish.  very impressive.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2009, 01:19:30 pm »

Very kind remarks armymedic, thank you! Harvesting an animal in my case typically means a whitetail deer. Our 2008 season just closed, so I'd have to wait until Sept. for the earliest opportunity. Hunting with our choice of equipment is not a done deal as I'm sure you know, I had my best year this year with a selfbow...don't know what 2009 has in store.

I've never written an article, but have thought about it...just haven't decided on a topic that hasn't already been covered before. :)
Greg

Offline DanaM

« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2009, 01:42:58 pm »
Greg my high school english teacher always said "write about something that you know about"
I think we all know what your best subject is, all we have to do is look at Page 1 and the first picture
on Pappy's Life Is Good thread ;) :D

Awesome bow Greg maybe you will let me shoot it in May eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2009, 02:09:55 pm »

;D I don't really need to teach folks how to eat more...not the healthiest of topic's. ;D

We can each shoot the other's bow's, that's always fun! I remember last year I was shooting one several of Ryan's and a couple of Sawfiler's quite a bit. We were even shooting after dark by floodlight. :)
Greg

Offline PeteC

« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2009, 02:17:33 pm »
Greg,that is a fine bow!!I like all the added,"mojo". Is your arrowhead tied down,or does it move a liittle? Great job,and your son is quite an artist.God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2009, 02:18:45 pm »
Greg i have never seen an article about a finish like yours on a bow.
and im not sure where you are but it is only january, gotta be some rabbit and squerril still in season!!!   seriuosly though, what you did there on the back of that bow is ground breaking you ask me.  would love to see more on it, even if it is just here.  the bow deserves to be "showcased" was my point about putting it in an article. 
well done again
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2009, 02:39:43 pm »
I'm really impressed also, what a great symbol of things important to you. Good memories in that bow too.
well done
VB

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2009, 01:11:06 am »
 goregous, man. the tips.. the painting, everything flows evenly with eachother, one of the nicest ones ive ever seen man. good work, nnot sure if anyone can top that one! ;D -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2009, 07:01:05 am »
Got the pleasure of shooting it Sat.He let me and King Ron give it whirl,It ant only pretty it shoots like dream,I haven't made a dogwood in a while but I need to rethink that,got a stave just waiting. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2009, 08:48:51 am »

Pete, the arrow head is secured to a piece of leather using dogbane at two places. The leather itself is only secure at the top next to the grip...enough padding underneath the head that it doesn't make noise when shooting. The beads could make a little noise, but I haven't noticed it.

Thanks Armymedic, VB, and Jimmy!  ;) My mother really liked dogwood tree's especially when they were blooming in the spring. I think I knew before I even started this bow that I was going to do the best job I could on it and try to make it special. Having other people involved with it from the flint, the tips, the blossom painting, the dogbane, and adding the arrow head I found from home makes it a special bow to me.

Thanks Pappy...you and Ron both killed that deer target on the first shot with it I recall! ;D
Greg

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2009, 11:55:01 am »
WOW.. Absolutely beautiful !
 Greg when you 1st told me about your flint flake idea a few months ago. i gatta admit i did not think it would tern out. I was wrong. it looks grate.
And i really like your arrowhead idea thats just too cool. I am glade you finally got it finished.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2009, 02:22:26 pm »
Thanks Jesse!

I hope you're getting to bang on some rocks every now and then! ;D

Stay safe!
Greg
Greg

Offline adb

« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2009, 06:28:08 pm »
A very cool bow! Truly unique. How the heck did I miss this! Very worthy for BOM consideration... well done!!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 10:12:06 pm by adb »

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2009, 10:07:11 pm »
Thank you adb, I'm glad you like it!

I thought I'd post a closer picture of my son Jamison's drawing/painting.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Greg