Author Topic: String Nocks?  (Read 2656 times)

Offline Josh Shuck

String Nocks?
« on: January 14, 2009, 09:05:03 pm »
Hey I was wondering if the design or shape of the bows nocks play any fuctional role on it's performance.  It seems like you see the nocks cut at a 45 degree angle to zero.  Cut in so there is a square shoulder to simply sinew wrapped around the bow.  Granted if the bow is very narrow you might want to do something like wrap it with sinew but I would have to think that the design of them would have to play some role, even if small, in the bows performance.  Even from there some people put them close to the tip of the bow while others go an inch or so back.  Any thoughts on how the different designs affect speed, handshock or stack?

Thanks!

Offline Kegan

Re: String Nocks?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 09:27:11 pm »
I tried a bunch of different ones, but I like pointed tips, the nocks about 3/4" or so from the end, with nice curved slots on the sides. It looks nice, is easy for either selfnocks or overlays, and easy to string with the puch-pull.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 11:53:28 pm »
...and it easier on the string loop.        I agree with Kegan.
  If you have 2 bows that are exactly the same and one has nocks 1/4" from the tip and the other has the nocks 3/4" from the tip. The one with the nocks 3/4" down will be a bit faster because you have shortened the bow by 1" thus increasing the draw weight. Also the smaller the tips of the bow are the quicker the limbs will recover so the faster it will shoot an arrow. This is because you have reduced the physical weight of the limb tips.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 06:10:45 am »
I make them like Kegan also,and thin them down as small as I feel safe. Cutting the
groove at about a 45 is easier on the string loop also.Don't know much about the speed,
don't think it is enough to tell just by shooting unless you leave them really big and
bulky then it will play a role in hand shock. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh Shuck

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 09:46:14 pm »
Thanks guys!