Author Topic: deer sinew  (Read 3895 times)

troutbum76

deer sinew
« on: January 15, 2009, 01:07:41 am »
i killed a nice 6 point this evening and i want to save the sinews for backing a bow. can i cut the legs of above the knee joints and stick them in the freezer for later or do i need the part above the knee. i am very news to this and i will be taking the deer to the processor tommorrow.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: deer sinew
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 02:59:20 am »
Take you Pocket Knife and stick it through the Hide just above the Hoof....stab it all the way through....cut up till you hit the Knee Joint....then cut outward.....do this to all 4 Legs before you take it to the Butcher Shop....or just ask them to do it.....once you do this....take the Strips...and strip the Tendons out of them...throwing away the strip of Hide.....also ask the Butcher to save you the Backstrap Tendon too....this is a Better Sinew Supply than the Hooves....and a lot easier to use and process.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 06:16:38 am »
Maybe this will help,this is Jesse at the deer classic showing how to get it out easy. Make
a cut right under the dew claws into the leg,then split up the leg like EL said then just reach in and pull it out.cut it off and your done. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 03:24:00 pm »
I take the leg sinew off every road killed deer I see. Just in the last year, I've saved up a whole zip lock bag full. I'm pretty good at it now. It only takes a few seconds with a pocket knife. I dry it on the window sill and save it.

One of these days I'll use it.
Doug from Missouri

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 09:37:48 pm »
I take the leg sinew off every road killed deer I see. Just in the last year, I've saved up a whole zip lock bag full. I'm pretty good at it now. It only takes a few seconds with a pocket knife. I dry it on the window sill and save it.

One of these days I'll use it.

Yep....I do the Same thing....got stopped once by a Beloved State Trooper.....told me that I could not touch a Roadkill Animal...no matter what I was doing....so I just came back later and got the Whole Deer!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome