Author Topic: Where Do I Start  (Read 7431 times)

AKAPK

Where Do I Start
« on: January 15, 2009, 04:47:41 am »
Some really Nice folk gave me these today and I don't know where to start :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

Re: Where Do I Start
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 06:31:34 am »
Looks like some nice obsidaian, first thing ya need is some basic tools,
go on youtube and watch some videos Phillip will give you a good idear
of the various tools to technigues.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Mike_A

• Mike Ailstock Gatesville, TX
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 09:36:27 am »
I would say look around your local area and you'll probably find someone that has more experience than you currently have, then just ask for help. I've found the flintknapping community to be very helpful. Like you I'm just starting and I learned more in one lesson from a local gent than I had from many videos and books. Good luck. Mike
Proud member of PETA ( People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 09:49:41 am »
Dana and Mike are right. Get you some basic tools and get with someone to give ya some pointers if you can. I would reccomend starting with the smallest of the spalls you have there and learn percussion. If you could find some free glass to work before bashing all that nice obs I would highly reccomend that first ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

AKAPK

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 03:16:30 pm »
Thanks ,I have a rock shop that will slabm for meSo I can pressure flakem I have an easier time with those than Tryin to get a good spall, them hinges suck.PK :)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 06:55:29 pm »
NICE
i know nothing about knapping,yet.

however i really like the looks of that orangish obsidian on the bottom middle,that should make some pretty stuff 8)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

AKAPK

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 01:47:40 am »
Well I Spalled and Cut slabs today lets see if I can get a point out all this.

Caveman

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 05:43:33 am »
i've practiced a little with beer bottle bottoms, smashed more fingers than stones. nice pieces. What does spalls mean though? and why not thin them out by hand instead of using machines? I just like the older ways I guess. Takes more work in all skills but the satifaction is soooooo worth it.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 11:06:00 am »
less waste

to some the rock or obsidian is too hard to get to waste any trying to get a decent spall from the hunk

AKAPK

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 02:55:36 pm »
Yep,tryin to save some material knda new at this.  :) this is my 5th attempt, now Ui guess make another couple hundred till i get it right?

« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 08:56:46 pm by AKAPK »

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 09:09:45 pm »
very neat points akapk
love the colors

AKAPK

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 12:24:58 am »
Well thanks, It looks like I'm getting the Idea but i'm still bustin some I'm using the worst of the stone first. I think The Stone is Snowflake Obsid not sure its black with white stripes.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 01:04:39 am »
Nice points.  As long as you have no aversion to using copper, get a piece of 1/2 inch tubing and heat and flatten one end.  That will give you a long pressure flaker to really dress up your edges.  I've found I do better detailed pressure flaking on my leg pad than in the palm of my hand. 

If you want to stay "abo", you can grind a scapula bone to a long sharp edge and do the same thing.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

AKAPK

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 02:09:04 am »
Thanks  for the Tip Mike Wondered where ya were,  Still use the spoke shave. I think I traded you that for a  BB.
I tried the leg pad for pressure flaking its easier for me to but my Knapping is terrible but I figured since the nice folks  gave me the stone ,I might as well try to make something, tell ya the truth with the pretty stone I would rather send it to someone and have them make me a point so I can be really impressed. I would even give them some of the obsid I have,not the red stuff thats what I want made into Points for my Collection.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 10:17:35 am »
Nice point AKAPK, that may be midnight lace. Looks like you have all the essential tools there on the table or if those are your friends tools then you have someone to show you the basics - good deal :). Now for the tonnage ::) ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.