Author Topic: funny hunting stories  (Read 4175 times)

Offline armymedic.2

funny hunting stories
« on: January 16, 2009, 02:59:29 pm »
Was sitting here thinking about some of the funny things that have happened to me while hunting, particularly for small game, and though it would be fun to share one and see if any one else had anything they would like to share.

I went to westchester NY to hunt some of my old deer hunting grounds, and hope fully get something with stick and string after converting from training wheels.  Met a couple of friends down there and we all hunted hard for three days out of our four day trip to no avail for deer.  some new guys started hunting the adjacent property and were baiting, so the deer changed their patterns (IE.  wait until dark and then go hit their bait).  Anyway, the fourth day we decided to hunt for squirrels.  We got into them right away and i put two on the ground within a couple of hours, and everyone else was having a lot of close calls.  We were all having a blast, and had only sacrificed a few cedar shafts which was pretty unusual for us, since we usually break or lose everything we go out with when it is for tree rats.  
anyway, my buddy finally connects on one, but the hit was marginal and it got up a tall oak before he could secure it.  i heard the commotion so went moseying over to see what was up.  I get to my buddy and he is looking straight up trying to find an opening to shoot this squirrel again.  I asked him if he could use some help, and soon was breaking my neck trying to find an opening too.  we both start slinging arrows up at this guy one at a time, and doing the occasional jump to the side to avoid feathered hail on the return flight.  i lose one arrow that misses him by an inch and it strikes a limb at an angle an crack, cedar confetti.  no worries got plenty more of them.  then my buddy does the same thing.  then one of mine strikes a rock on the way back down.  then i stick one in a limb.  then he loses one.  then one of mine nicks him and he moves closer to the trunk, partially hiding his body with a limb but it is much more clear now.  chunk!  stuck an arrow in that limb.  crack, buddy breaks another one on the side of the limb.  i break my last arrow, but it is still almost full length.  i half draw it and send it up.  broken again.
hmmmmmmm....out of arrows....well he is hit already....lets wait him out.  30 minutes later.........45 minutes later......well i have a few more at the house, lets make our way back to my sisters place and come back for him.  walking back to the house we top a rise and bust a flock of turkeys out about 15 yards, running away.  some never flew....yup turkey was in season, but its a little hard to shoot them without arrows.......haha, i tell ya, some days.  never did get that squirrel, but we sure had fun that day.  i reckon that was the single most expensive squirrel i have ever met.  being that it was a few years ago the sequence of the arrows breaking was off of memory, so it may not be totally correct, but all of those things did happen, and i had just about a full quiver when the saga began.  

and no i have not learned my lesson i will still buy or make a lot of nice deer arrows, that eventually find their way about 2 inches to the left right over and under of squirrels, invariably breaking.  but thats part of the fun right?  

Share if ya got one.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline sonny

Re: funny hunting stories
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 06:58:48 pm »
During gun season for deer my daughter and I were both sitting next to a big oak tree when a squirrel comes along, stops in the top of a small sapling that was only a few feet away. I told my daughter "Watch this  >:D". So I got up and started shaking that sapling to and fro, that squirrel hanging on swaying back and forth, it's tail flying in the breeze. Well finally it had enough and jumped toward the tree where my daughter was still sitting, landing on the tree maybe three feet above her head. When I looked down at her she had covered her head with her arms as if  protecting herself from a hailstorm. I 'bout hit the ground laughing......she didn't find it nearly as amusing.     
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 08:17:45 pm »
I was out coon hunting a few weeks back and my buddy brad who was getting ready to leave for iraq wanted to tag along to see what it was all about because he had never been coon hunting. So of course I told him to come on. We were hunting with another friend of mine, Mark and we each had a dog. Well ,we treed this great big old boar Coon. He was tough mean old sucker and it took several rounds out of my .22 to bring him down. When he hit the ground he still had a lot of life left in him and he wasn't happy either! I had tied my dog to a near by tree but Marks dog was lose and ran in after the coon. So there rolling around on the ground fighting and Mark tells me to let my dog go so she can help his dog before he gets tore up. So I let her go. Well there happens to be this old foundation right under the tree the coon was in and crawls down in there fighting with the dogs so Mark go in after them, and I follow with Brad standing at the top edge of the foundation watching intently not knowing quite what to think of all the goings on. So Mark gets his foot on the big old sucker and I pull the dogs away and Mark puts yet another round into the head of this mean old coon and finally finishes the job. So I go to start tying the dogs back up so he can skin the coon. When all the sudden hear Mark shout "LOOK OUT!" and I see the coon go flying out out of the old cellar hole and clipping my buddy Brad in the a##  who wasnt really paying attention thinking all the action was over. Well he just about came unglued! He jumped so high and screamed like a little girl ! It was freakin hilarious....bombed by a dead coon.   :D Yep we broke him in good that night! He still got  hooked and wants to go coon hunting all the time now and even talked about getting his own hound lol.... ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 05:36:53 pm »
 ryano, thats great! I got one, if anyone ere bowfishes it'll make loads more sense. So a buddy and me go to this spot right off a main road, he had a fishing reel, i had my fishing backpack- fishin pole, some tackle- and one thing i forgot was in there, my takedown bowfisher- trust me, its nothing fancy. We go to this real shallow boggish place, expecing to get some cat off the bottom, stink bit and all. Zack(my buddy) screams "huge cat! huge cat!" it was actually a monster carp it was early june, There were loads jumping up in the water, and the water was only a few feet deep-I told him it was a carp, so he switched his trebble hook out with a heavy snagging hook- while i was a cranking on an allan wrench getting my recurve together. I was in such a hurry, I just nocked the fish arrow and shot- the line was attached, but my reel was in my backpack-in the water goes the reel and by backpack with all my good tackle! I hit the carp a little far back, but still a good shot- so this thing's flying up the bog with a bright yellow arrow, spooking out another dozen decent carp in the process. Zack ran around to the other side of thew bog with a stick and flushed that monster carp back my way, when all of the sudden the arrow stopped dead in its tracks. I had another arrow, but no line- so zack tried to snag hum with his pole- which he then managed to get the pole snagged. he tugged and tugged, and a big tree limb started coming out of the water- along with my reel, snagged in the limb. So, in my shorts, I walked into this boggy, muddy crap- i the water was at deppest only about 3  feet, but i sank alot too, betting to about my ribs. I followed the line to the carp, pulled him out of the water, and showed zack. I didnt even bothertaking the arrow out, i knew the carp would find his way back in the water, so i tied him up by my tangled reel to a little sapling. as I was untanglin my buddys line, I heard a deep voice say- "this youre bow?" there was the town cop, holdin my bow, back by where i shot em. " i knew i had it coming, projecties are illegal where i live. So i walked out, got my fish, then he said "you got that? I said" yea, with the bow up there. Instead of confiscating my stuff, or writing my name down, he drove me home, and talked to my dad on good  and bowhunting spots- this is one of the best family friends now, mr. frank. He's a big bowhunter- uses compound, but still a big hunter- my only punishment was cleaning out the back of his car out from the swamp mudd i brought in- ;D
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.