Author Topic: Osage/knots question  (Read 4075 times)

Offline chesjen

Osage/knots question
« on: January 16, 2009, 11:31:28 pm »
Have begun to rough out these two staves, both have a knot on one working limb about three inches past fades, the knots are long and seem to sink into the back of the bow even with wood left around them, should i back with sinew? Any suggestions, I have made one bow with small knots but they stuck up, not sink into the back.

Thanks for any suggestions,
clj

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Some sweet Day"  Polk County NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage/knots question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 12:45:55 am »
Those knots shouldn't hurt anything. No need to back the bow. Once you get the belly down more they may show up there but as long as you keep wood around them they should be OK.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 09:41:19 am »
When you tiller them allow them to appear  a little flat in relation to the rest of the limb. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline chesjen

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 10:02:34 am »
Ok, thanks for the responses, I really like these staves and just trying not to screw them up, I had just about finished tillering an osage D bow a few weeks ago when it lifted a splinter on the back (I think from a cut my vise put into it) I took the whole growth ring down and ended up with yet another kids bow. Then I found this site and saw all different ways i could of saved the bow!!!! I really do appreciate yall being so willing to help and share info! I enjoy building these bows far more than i enjoy shooting them and hunting with them, it is truly a hobby you can get a bit consumed in. I might post again when i get to tillering them, I need lots of help in that area!!!!

The knots do go through to the belly.

Jawge does that mean i dont want that spot to bend as much? I am slow at this stuff.

thanks,
clj
"Some sweet Day"  Polk County NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 11:16:09 am »
clj, With the knots going all the way through I believe you can isolate them easier. Like George said keeping them a bit stiff will put less stress on them.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 12:30:32 pm »
Knots just add a heck of a lot of character to your masterpieces. I love the way they look. I have made several where you can see plum through the bow. It does help to distinguish between people who know bowyery. Anyone who picks up a bow with a hole in the limb will quickly put it back down thinkin it will break!!

d:^)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 12:50:44 pm »
clj, yes that's what I do. They have to bend just not as much as if the knot wasn't there. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 11:56:10 am »
If you are doing a flat belly be sure and leave the wood a little thicker on the belly where the back concaves. :)I have done them with a lot worse knots than that and the did fine.Like the other have said just leave a little stiffer in them areas.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good