Author Topic: What is the strangest wood that anyone has ever used in bow making?  (Read 10669 times)

bob the boywer

I cut down a few trees lately for several clients. I promised them that I would not take it to the land fill, I would use it as fire wood or use it to make some bows.

I have live oak, crape myrtle, red oak, red bud, bradford pear, and sweet gum. All are at least a foot in diameter except the crape myrtle which is about 3-4 inches in diameter.

Does anyone have any experience with crape myrtle or live oak?

I've made many red oak bows, but I've never tried bradford pear. I have a hard time splitting bradford pear for fire wood not to mention a six foot length of it.

I never really thought of sweet gum as a bow wood, but it is very plentiful around here. Has anyone worked with sweet gum?

What is the strangest wood that anyone has ever used in bow making?

The oddest wood that I have ever worked with is some type of olive wood from a pallet. It did not turn out very well due to the excessive number of nail holes. I used a 25 year old sledge hammer handle to make a spliced bow that turned out nice.

GraemeK

Re: What is the strangest wood that anyone has ever used in bow making?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 06:29:53 am »
Crepe Myrtle is fantastic bow wood -- hard to get a straight enough bit of large enough dia .
The stuff is almost unbreakable.
I have had the best success with roughing it out green and tying it to something to dry -- just use the surface under the bark for the back.

Graeme

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 06:45:43 am »
DanaM from the site specializes in using strange wood.  I'm pretty sure it's the snow and the cold that took him to that world. ;D  I guess I would say his Sumac was the strangest that I have seen. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 07:14:05 am »
Ya my Sumac and I also have a Tag Alder in da works ;D Speaking of snow picked up about 10"
last night :) And it warmed up. Its 10 above now beautiful weather ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 10:34:11 am »
A white Birch (paper birch) Sapling....turned out to be a nice shooting really snakey 45 pound Bow that is still kicking 4 years later
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 10:53:57 am »
Willow.  ::)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 11:02:41 am »
All of the woods you mentioned will make bows. I would say the gum would be the last one I would try just because of the difficulty of splitting it. I always wanted to try live oak as it is very dense and strong. Any of the smaller live oak, especially the dead standing stuff is an excellent material for knapping billets.
  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 11:12:15 am »
Witherod.  Beautiful wood and very strong and elastic
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 12:27:16 pm »
    Ocean spray had to be the biggest surprise wood in my life, super strong and super flexable. Takes almost no set. Steve

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 07:34:14 pm »
i made one out of rhododendron/and mt laurel,one was broad leaf and one was narrow leaf,both were  mighty crooked,( I MEAN CROOKED) but came out to be fair bows .i ended up giving them away,wished i had kept one. since im living in the mtns now ,i think ill build another...robustus

Shooter_G22

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 02:39:04 am »
has anybody ever tried cocobolo for a bow...  saw some a few months back at a wood shop / woodworking store...   very expensive but i thought it was a nice deep color and thought of it for a ow project once i knew what i was doing to not waste the expensive stuff....  ???

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 08:25:18 am »
too pretty for a whole bow i think.  it looks awesome when it is cut through somewhere so the fades would be amazing.  looks great on tips.  i rememebr hearing it is oily and toxic, so watch out if ya use it.  never tried to bend it so can't help ya there.makes great pistol grips!
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 02:42:39 pm »
Back about 15 years ago I used  a red oak, kiln dried bow as per Tim Baker's instructions in TBB#2. I thought that was pretty strange at the time. But it  worked and have done it many times since. Other than that I'm pretty normal. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 06:29:30 pm »
Tamarack.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 06:59:12 pm »
has anybody ever tried cocobolo for a bow...  saw some a few months back at a wood shop / woodworking store...   very expensive but i thought it was a nice deep color and thought of it for a ow project once i knew what i was doing to not waste the expensive stuff....  ???

I saw a bow made with it at Mojam last year. It was boo backed, though, so I don't know how the tension strength is. It was one of the prettiest bows I have ever held. I'm determined to make one....if I ever have a lot of money to waste. ;)
From the looks of the bow, the bend strength of Cocobolo is low (it was thick for its draw weight-around 30lb). It could be just that piece of wood, though.
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.