Author Topic: Serviceberry Sapling Bow  (Read 43741 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: Serviceberry Sapling Bow
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2009, 01:48:37 pm »
I concur with Bryan. The bow is he is refering to came from a stave that I would have discarded because of what I considered excessive twist. But Bryan would not be deterred and sawed the tree right down the middle completely ignoring the twisted grain. After tillering, the limbs are propellered some, but the bow turned out remarkably well notwithstanding. After his experience I may not be quite as picky about twist as before.
Gordon

Offline PatM

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2009, 05:09:35 pm »
It grow quite extensively up here in Canada as well. All very twisted but some of them are very large. Up to 10 inches in diameter in some cases. It's too bad that for an understory tree that likes to grow up forever without branching that it can be so wavy and twisted.
 I might have to get a couple and "straight line" the twist with a bandsaw.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2009, 07:00:55 pm »
Hmmmm guess I'm going to have to try and saw one down the middle also. I cut some big ones up into
firewood after splitting them and realizing they were twisted badly, could have been a mistake :'(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline huntinoly

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2009, 01:31:00 pm »
Gordon, I finished tillering my serviceberry bow it turned out great. I am impressed with serviceberry the limbs are very thin for a 59# bow. It ended up 59.5" long 1 7/16" wide at the fads, 1 1/8" at the grip, 1/2" at the tips and 59# @ 27". It holds about 3/4" reflex at rest and follows the string about 3/4" after shooting. I just need to stain and finish it. The lot next to my house is full of serviceberry nice strait stuff, I will be out cutting some more. I do have a question about sapling bows, this bow follows the string in the first third of the upper limb, there is a very high crown in that area, the rest of the bow is not that high. Is this a indication to be more carefull when I see that next time not take as must wood off in those areas. Thanks Greg

Offline Gordon

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2009, 02:25:37 pm »
I wouldn't think that a high crown would necessarily result in more set - at least that has not been my experience. I bet you could alleviate that by tempering the belly of the area that is following the string. I am also impressed with serviceberry and how little wood is required to make a hunting weight bow - it almost has the same dimensions as a bow made from osage.

When will we see pictures of your bow?
Gordon

Offline huntinoly

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2009, 02:46:11 pm »
I have not had time to find out how to resize pictures. I am not that good with computers and stuff, I would rather work on bows or go fishing. I have one bow finished and three more tillered just waiting for things to warm up to put the finish on them. I am going to be a Grandpa some time today. Greg

Offline stickbender

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2009, 02:52:29 pm »

Gordon, do you use the heartwood, or sap wood, on Service berry?

Wayne

Offline Gordon

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2009, 03:46:19 pm »
Congratulations Greg, that's just terrific! I can help you with the pictures if you like.

Wayne, I just removed the bark and that was the back. The serviceberry wood we have around here doesn't seem to have distinct sap/heartwood separation.

Gordon

Offline stickbender

« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2009, 02:12:13 am »

Ok, thanks Gordon. ;)

Wayne