Author Topic: Agincourt  (Read 19478 times)

Offline JBL

Agincourt
« on: January 19, 2009, 05:28:53 pm »
Just started reading Bernard Cornwell's new book "Agincourt" and can't put it down, as usual from Cornwell a real page turner.   Great stuff on the warbow and how the English army was organized during the time. 

Offline Cromm

Re: Agincourt
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 05:50:08 pm »
Great book!! Read it in 3 days it was that good.....Have you read any of his other books??
Thanks for your time.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline JBL

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 05:56:26 pm »
I have read his "Saxon Series" and I believe he is to Medievel historical fiction what Patrick O'Brien was to the Napoleonic War at sea.  I have not had a chance to read "Archers Tale" but that is on my list.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 05:56:52 pm »
I finished it a while back... truly a great book, and very accurate. Cornwell obviously did his homework. I didn't devour it... I savoured it slowly, as I didn't want it to end! His other books (a trilogy) about thomas of Hookton are pretty good, as well.
If you're interested in this genre, there is also a great book by Daniel Hall called"Kemp: The Roar to Crecy."

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 05:59:39 pm »
I have read his "Saxon Series" and I believe he is to Medievel historical fiction what Patrick O'Brien was to the Napoleonic War at sea.  I have not had a chance to read "Archers Tale" but that is on my list.
"Archers Tale" is the Americanized version of Cornwell's book: "Harlequin." It's the first of the Thomas of Hookton trilogy. They renamed it for the American market, cuz they thought people might get confused with Harlequin Romance novels. A good read, but Azincort is better.

stevesjem

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 06:37:36 pm »
Yeah the Grail quest trilogy are a great read, I would suggest reading them before Agincourt as a reference is made to Thomas Hookton in the Agincourt book.
Critisism's: the use of the term "Fledgers" instead of "Fletchers" as arrow makers.
He also states that a crossbow can out range a warbow, which as we all know it can't.lol

Steve

Offline Cromm

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 07:16:20 pm »
Yeah there's always those small hic ups in a book that i say "that's not right" and then get a look from the wife.......
The Warlord books are top of my list for him.

And Warren Ellis "CRECY" comic book is a great read too,just don't let anyone under 15 years read it there's the big swear words in it.

Thanks for your time.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

jonot05

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 01:43:21 am »
The viking series is by far my favourite, just read  it again for the 5th time

Offline JBL

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 11:57:24 am »
What I found somewhat interesting thus far into the book (about 1/2 way) is the divesity he claims for the cross bow i.e. greater caste and ability to fight better in the woods.  I just take it for what it is and that is a very entertaining book.  He has become one of my favorite authors just behind Patrick O'Brien.

Offline Loki

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 01:13:14 pm »
I've read all and own all his book's except the Sharpe series,i cant get away with Richard Sharpe!
Agincourt or Azincourt as the UK book is called is a great yarn!!I would of liked more of King Henry but Sir John Cornwaile makes up for it,What a guy!!!  >:D

The Grail quest is a must for those Interested in WarBows,the second in the series is my favourite (Vagabond) the battle description at Nevilles Cross is engrossing!It;s like your there laughing at the Scots  >:D.
The Saxon series is probably my favourite,Uthreds from my part of the country (Bebbanburgh's just up the road) and i'm fascinated with Saxon Aengland's History.
Followed by the WarLord Trilogy,now thats what i believe Arthur was like! I certainly dont think of him as a Roman (spit on that King Arthur Movie! >:D).

I hope it's ok to link to Bernard Cornwells site?
If not a MOD can remove the link, please.
Here's some video interviews with the man.
http://bernardcornwell.net/
Durham,England

Offline Fearny

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 07:56:30 pm »
Loved this book, just like every other one of his i've read!

Rhinegold

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 07:50:12 pm »
Just started reading this last night. One thing I'm curious about however are the references to HEMP bow strings.

Does anyone still use hemp? I googled this and couldn't find anything significant.

triton

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 05:28:30 am »
The historical notes at the back are interesting too.  St. Crispin and St. Crispinians day are now in November, which makes the battle of Azincourt November.  Though some still celebrate it in September, which it would have been if we hadn't changed from the Gregorian calendar.
I've never really been a reader of fiction but saw Azincourt in Tesco for £3 and gave it a go.  Glad I did, now reading the Saxon chronicles and will read the grail quest and others mentioned above. 

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 03:30:46 pm »
Just started reading this last night. One thing I'm curious about however are the references to HEMP bow strings.

Does anyone still use hemp? I googled this and couldn't find anything significant.

In the late Middle Ages hemp strings were replacing the linen ones.  I recently made up a hemp string lile those I described in my post on the subject. It is of three bundles if five ten pound hemp strings, served with green silk at loop and middle and fits a nock on one of the Mary Rose arrows. I gave it to the MR museum and they said they would include it in the diaplays. That would be nice..

Offline Phil Rees

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 05:12:18 pm »
Yeah the Grail quest trilogy are a great read, I would suggest reading them before Agincourt as a reference is made to Thomas Hookton in the Agincourt book.
Critisism's: the use of the term "Fledgers" instead of "Fletchers" as arrow makers.
He also states that a crossbow can out range a warbow, which as we all know it can't.lol

Steve

The term "fledgers" turns up quite often in 13th and 14th century texts from the Norfolk and Suffolk areas. As there was no standard format of spelling,  words were writen in fanetics, hence the spelling AREWS for arrows KYNGE for King and STRYNGE for string, so FLEDGERS for fletchers would be acceptable