Author Topic: twisting at the tip  (Read 3079 times)

troutbum76

twisting at the tip
« on: January 19, 2009, 08:37:21 pm »
i am working a maple board bow and began long string tillering when i noticed that one of the tips is twisting when i flex the bow. what causes this and how do i fix it? sorry no pics my camera battery is shot

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: twisting at the tip
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 08:48:33 pm »
Uneven wood removal will cause especially of the board was straight to begin with. To fix it remove wood from the side that is not twisted which is the side that is closest to the string if the stave is strung.  Ask'em if you have'em. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 10:11:14 pm »
A little bit of prop twist at full draw is not a biggie, as long as the string remains in line with tips and handle.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 11:25:19 pm »
prop twist is one thing
but if it is twisitng due to uneven wood removal then i feel it needs to be fixed,i would think it would put uneven stress across the limb
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline shamus

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 01:02:56 pm »
prop twist is one thing but if it is twisitng due to uneven wood removal then i feel it needs to be fixed,i would think it would put uneven stress across the limb

agreed.

The limb will twist to the weak side. Remove wood from the opposite side, as Jawge said.

troutbum76

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 01:46:39 pm »
there are some imperfections in the grain near the tips ( runoffs) could that be what is causing the problem? it seems that i have the wood removed evenly ???. i am trying for a low poundage maybe 30lbs and was hoping not to have to back this bow. it is for my dad and probably won't be shot alot.  tried to take some pics last night but couldn't get the details good enough to see. will try again in the daylight

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 10:54:15 pm »
 One option is to shorten it a little. And then go into the tillering REAL slow and see if that straightens it. Maybe you can save the weight that way.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

troutbum76

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 11:15:35 pm »
i think i fixed the problem. i took a closer look and realized that i had evened it all the way down to the tip. i haven't taken much wood off yet so i am going to keep tillering really slow and even it out. if i want to put tip overlays on should i do it now or wait till tillering is finished?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 12:11:52 am »
for tip overlays just wait untill you finish tillering it,the last six inches or so should be stiff anyhow so it shouldnt affect your tiller
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd