Author Topic: yewckory  (Read 7896 times)

triton

yewckory
« on: January 20, 2009, 04:54:42 pm »
yew log was snaffled on eboy for £16 but had been stored bark on since 1987 so had become striated (cracked down the length) in the sap wood, so I had to back it with hickory. came out at 110@32"

excuse the weird posture and that I don't have full draw, lack of room in the kitchen
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 05:21:41 pm by triton »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: yewckory
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 05:10:48 pm »
Nice work. 
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

triton

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 05:24:46 pm »
Thanks.
just remembered a couple other things; 72"ntn. there's a couple of pins in that run through the handle, so rhather than take them out and lose draw weight, I left the handle stacked. I'll get a couple of pics of the wood shortly

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 05:36:05 pm »
I saw Mike shoot this bow recently and it pokes the arrows out very well.  A nice roving bow there.
Cheers,
Jeremy

triton

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 05:52:21 pm »
Thanks Jeremy.
can't wait for summer. The frost aint helping performance of myself or the bow but you never know, in a couple of months, I might be able to hit something  :D

Ian B

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 01:54:37 am »
Very nice bow there mike, very nice work mate.

regards ian

stevesjem

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 05:06:51 am »
Thats a nice bow Mike...Well done mate.

Steve

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 07:46:21 am »
Awesome bow, My shoulder screams in agony every time I see a picture of someone drawing one of these heavyweights back :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

triton

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 08:53:38 am »
Thanks all for the positive comments.  It's a steep learning curve (more like a vertical line) but I think at last I'm making progress.
as for self bows, I've got a stave of hawthorn which resembles a braced scythian bow but also has a sideways kink in the handle. 
Just felled a small yew tree which will have quite some forward set in the top limb, otherwise as straight as you can get.  the size is enough to get 3 bows but due to a knot in one side reduces that to 2 and the curve in the log brings it down to one but I may get a couple of laminates too.  for me, this is the most nerve racking part.  split or cut right and I get a couple.  cut wrong, fence post.

Offline Asiertxu

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 09:32:35 am »
Very nice "little bow" Mike!!..:D...
You´re forsure in good shape fellow!
Cheers...

Asier.
//Asier from "Basque Country" Spain.

Offline heavybow

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 11:21:05 am »
Mike thats a very nice bow. Great picture. Marlon ;)