Author Topic: Bow repair or maybe not!  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Hickoryswitch

Bow repair or maybe not!
« on: January 21, 2009, 09:27:53 pm »
I just repaired an ash bow that cracked across the back. I rawhide backed it bout 2 in. past the break each way then wrapped the ends. It pulled fine on the tree and shot well but now has come out of tiller some after a dreaded tick. It doesn't seem to have broken again cause it still shoots fine and hasn't changed anymore. What I was wonderin is this bow most likely gonna fail in the near future or not? I also added a cable back after the tick. Appreciate everyones input. Thanks
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Bow repair or maybe not!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 09:38:11 pm »
 when it breaks across the back, in my own opinion, I'd make it a Blue Lake green bean stake.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 09:40:56 pm »
I figured I'd give it a try I like a challenge or maybe I like to fail not sure just yet. It was backed with canvas and cracked at a knot that I hadn't worked very well. Since it was my fault figured I'd try to save it.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 07:14:48 am »
I suggest a catchers mask and a hardhat,Ive  had a bow break on me unknowingly, >:( let alone knowing  youve got a bow thats suspect!
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 07:24:54 am »
I'm with Mullet on this one,I repair a few with a small splinter lift,but if the break much across the back I cook brats with them,just never had much luck fixing them to where I could depend on
them.O course I am always wanting to build another anyway.Raw hide will sometime keep them from splintering up to start with but ant had much luck with it holding them down once they have broke. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 08:10:38 am »
I'm assuming the crack is midlimb somewhere most likely...if it's closer to a tip you might shorten the limbs and get a kids bow out of it or even adult depending on the length. Probably not the case though... ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 09:30:09 pm »
It broke bout 10 inches out from the fade. I'll post some pics before I break it real good! I'll be sure to wear my motorcycle helmet. Learned that lesson while back. ;D
Wayne Silverthorn