Author Topic: Bows Breaking!  (Read 2589 times)

Badbill

Bows Breaking!
« on: January 22, 2009, 01:27:27 am »
Is it the weather or has everybody been eating their Wheaties lately? I've been noticing a lot of cracked or broken bows since winter came. Is this the norm, or just a fluke?

Offline sailordad

Re: Bows Breaking!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 01:38:05 am »
good point
someone should tally up how many and what woods they are and in what parts of the world and or country.
not me that takes to much thinking :P
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 06:19:23 am »
I think it has a lot to do with how dry the air is in and out of the houses.  Especially in the house where the bow is stored.  The RH inside gets really low with the heat always running.  Just my guess ???
Traverse City, MI

John B.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 10:50:26 am »
And, since it's winter, a lot of guys are inside working on bows.  More bows=more breaks.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 11:06:48 am »
I think its a combo of things.  I do a lot of work in the winter.  But also, I have been keeping my bows in a place where I have a woodstove.  I am wondering if this is a good idea.  As humidity is less than 30% in that room.
Westminster, MD

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 11:12:37 am »
I know of several yew bows that broke after getting too dry and gaining too much draw weight. 2 of them were mine. Steve

Offline artcher1

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 11:14:57 am »
Yep, it's the low humidity that's breaking a lot of bows. My humidifier runs night day here in the house and it only gets around 42-43 %  where I store my bows. That's why it's wise to have a few hickory bows around to shoot for these winter months. ART B

Offline chesjen

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 12:04:52 pm »
I have a wood stove but keep a kettle on it, put about two gallons through it a day. I have a osage recurve, sinew backed about two months ago, that i need to finish the tiller on, my moister meter is saying between seven and ten depending on where i place it on the bow. Is that too low, or can i go ahead with it? I broke one about a month ago, what a horrible feeling after putting so much time into something!!
"Some sweet Day"  Polk County NC