Author Topic: measuring draw weight during tillering?  (Read 3742 times)

darren1968

measuring draw weight during tillering?
« on: January 22, 2009, 03:29:43 pm »
hi all, i`m currently working on my first board longbow. i have yet to tiller the bow to my intended draw weight of around 55#, as i don`t yet have a bow scale, is there any other way of getting a rough idea of draw weight, i`ve heard some ppl have used bathroom scales, which i understand may not be the most accurate method, but how does this method work?  is there any better methods?
secondly my bow is 68" tip to tip i have yet to make the nocks, when i come to buying my bows first string i`m informed that a longbow string will need to be 3 inches shorter then the bow, is this true?  if so, is it 68" minus 3" or do i measure from nock to nock then minus 3"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: measuring draw weight during tillering?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 04:07:50 pm »
If you have a tiller stick place the bottom of the stick on the bathroom scale(digital won't work) and the bow string on the top of the stick. While pulling the bow down note the weight on the scale. If you have tillered your bow out to 10" pull the bow to 10" on the scale and read it. that will give you an idea of what weight you are at. 
   Why don't you try to build your own string or trade with someone here on PA for one. If you get a string with a loop at the top and a bowyers knot on the bottom it is easy to make it fit many bows.     Pat

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 08:13:16 pm »
 when you finish the bow you can measure the string you used to tiller it and make one to that size. If ya want drop me a pm and Ill make you a string and send it to ya.  Its not  hard to learn to make one and if your gonna make bows its helpful to know how to make strings. :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Shooter_G22

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 11:11:33 pm »
darren1968,

i think a paracord, or parachute string...   is a good sorce to have handy and it make a good long string...   you can pick up a nice piece of paracord at any army/navy surplus for a few dollars uselly in a 50' - 100' pack for just a couple of bucks... and it is great to have handy... i never go into the woods with out it... and keep several short bundles in my truck  my hydropack every pair of camies i own have at least a 20 to 25' bundle in the cargo pocket and stays ther even through the wash...   

anyway's   if you grab some para cord try to get some of the U.S. GI  stuff its good trash i have even sliced it open and taking the 7 small strand of smaller nylon twist strnds on the inside of the paracord and have ussed it to haft tradeponts and fltch feathers for a survival type arrrow...  pretty cool stuff to have on hand...

anyway's like i was saying i think it makes an excallant long string just tie a loop on one side and use a bowers not onthe other side for easy adjusting while tillering and then take up jesse-s offer for himt omake you a bow string for it...   

good luck and hope you first long bow turns out great... and take pics and post them and let us see how it is going through out the build...eh..!    these guys on this board are excallant class of gentleman and are very eager to help and give great advice soo dont be shy if you get hung up ask questions and they will be all on it.. trust me they will not lead you a stray... ;)

good luck...

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 11:12:41 pm »
I have not had really good luck making strings with a flemish eye on both ends.   I'll figure it out by and by.   Till then, i am making one-eye strings and serving the end of the braid. Then, i use a bowyer's knot on the bottom.  My cats love the 5-6" of bow string hanging off the bottom!  Somedays the most fun a guy can have it playing with the cats.   They are smarter , i'm afraid, than the people driving in my lane headed in to work every day.  

I use a wally world round face fish scale to measure.   I put the handle on the ground and my foot on it and lift up on the string.......   I must admit that with a long string the pull FEELS greater than the scale shows.   Any of you X-perts have an X-planation for that?  

thanx

piper