Author Topic: walnut ?  (Read 3443 times)

Offline knap_123

walnut ?
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:50:55 pm »
how do you feel about black walnut?  i plan on cutting one tomarrow maybe, or might wait till spring.  but want i be removeing the sapwood anyway, so it wont matter if it has bark right?  if you have a pic of a b.w. bow please post a pic and give me all the info you can on this tree. i try and pic a tree, and learn all i can at once, heartwood, whitewood, good,bad,ok. thanks john

Offline sailordad

Re: walnut ?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 11:53:49 pm »
bw is supposed to be good bow wood, ive seen bows of all heartwood and some with sap wood
both are cool,i too am waiting to cut a blackwalnut
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Shooter_G22

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 12:13:24 am »
what about a walnut board bow...

ehn i went and got he pecn i am using they also had some walnut ther and it was jsut slightly a little more expensive...   i think...  it might have been a little more than slight more...  lol...
anyhow... i thought once i learned i would try the black walnut later on.. but form a board.. ?????

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 12:19:57 am »
well ifn it was me and i was going to spend that kind of money to buy a board to make a bow
i would probably back it with either boo or hick,thin backing of either just cause i wouldnt want it to blow
walnut aint cheap but is pretty as a bow

Shooter_G22

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 12:30:16 am »
yea sailordad,

i know what you mean but it wont be anytime soon...   i wont be trying to get anythinglike that anytime soon at all....   i have to learn what im doing first and that is a slow process....   i really should be learnign on hickory huh???    actually that is what i wanted to get when i got he pecan i asked for hicory and they told me all they had was pecan...  and it was classed the same...

well   we should see in a month or two if im able to get one out...

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 01:09:14 am »
just remember   PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE. and then take a pic and post it and ask questions cause shooter you know the others on here( not me ) are good at this craft we all love so much ;D

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 09:03:50 am »
Walnut is good wood. I'd use the ring of sapwood right under the bark for the back.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 09:14:40 am »
i really like walnut, i wish i had more of it! i didnt have as much luck with the sapwood. i like to chase it down to the heart wood personally.   mine is a short little recurve about 60# pull.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline knap_123

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 09:35:48 am »
nice bow!!!   so i shouald be ok with wintrcutting it huh?

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 01:30:05 pm »
yeah, i dont see why not. you can cut any wood in the winter, it just makes the bark harder to get off. but the bark wouldnt be the hard part getting off here, it would be the sapwood!  and that doesnt matter what time of the year it is..lol - Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive