Author Topic: New bow, happy archer  (Read 9128 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
New bow, happy archer
« on: January 24, 2009, 12:23:53 pm »
This is a bow I built for my friend Bob McMinn. Anyone that has been to my camp-o-rama knows Bob.
  The bow is osage, 62"t/t, 53#@26" and a sweet shooter. She has a bit of character and after unbracing she holds a flat profile(about 1" of backset when relaxed).
  This is one of 3 osage bows I've been working on lately. The stave had about average growth rings(3/16" or so). I had to use heat to do some straightening and to induce reflex. I also heat treated the belly and am getting to like the results of that on osage. And as always lately I used a bulbous handle, floppy rest and hemp string handle wrap set in Massey finish. The bow has 5 coats of Tru-Oil and a spray of satin poly to cut the shine. I used a bit of brown leather dye on this bow also.
  Sorry, these aren't the best pics but I didn't think about pics until Bob showed up this morning. Bob was quite pleased with the bow and shoots it well. He will have a new set of arrows made just for this bow by another friend of his.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

Re: New bow, happy archer
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 12:36:18 pm »
   pat,

very nice looking bow,tiller looks great.
your friend should be very happy with it,if not i'll be your friend ;D lol

very nice job

peace,
                                                                             tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 12:36:29 pm »
That's a dandy Pat. We'll look at next weekend for Self Bow of the Month fun.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 12:50:08 pm »
Nice job Pat as always, Really  like the mild character, always makes an osage bow personable. Also really like the way the grain stands out on the belly, is that from the belly toasting or you said you used some dye. Still love your handles and will make one like it soon. Have a nice day.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 12:54:08 pm »
Good looking bow, Pat- Bob should like that one.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 01:58:16 pm »
Thanks guys. Both Bob and I were pleased with this one.  ;D  Tempering does work with osage!
Kenneth, I did use a bit of dye so I think that is why the grain shows up so well. Most of the scorching from tempering was removed with final tiller.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 03:08:10 pm »
Looks great Pat looks like the handle may bend very slightly? Tiller looks to be right on da money :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 03:21:26 pm »
Dana, lately, with the bulbous handles, I've been getting as much inside limb working as possible. I didn't notice any movement in the handle but it is right up against it. 

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 03:59:30 pm »
Do you have a picture of the handle Pat. I like that style with a almost bending handle :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 04:05:47 pm »
Dana, I don't have a separate pic of this handle but I do of other bulbous handle. I use a piece of thick(shoe) leather to fill out the back of the handle. Even if the handles bends, the leather will bend with it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 04:07:43 pm »
Instead of making the leather oval shaped I keep it rectangular but taper it at both ends now. Makes for a better transition with a wrapped handle.   

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 05:29:38 pm »
Beautiful bow Pat :). Simple, beautiful,  and effective- the definition of primitive archery in my book ;D!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 05:57:05 pm »
Alrighty Pat I thought that was what you meant by the bulbous handle but wasn't sure.
I've done the same and I really like the feel of them. Thanks fer da pics eh :)

Manistique, MI

Offline cracker

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 07:26:27 pm »
Fine work as usual Pat.I guess I got a ways to go. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 07:32:14 pm »
Nice Bow Pat....I bet He loves it!! Hey...is that a Chia Doe back there....or has She been in the sun for Years!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome