Author Topic: thinning the tips  (Read 5357 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
thinning the tips
« on: January 26, 2009, 05:38:17 pm »
Hi again everyone , hope you are all well. I just finnished TBB4, theres a lot of stuff about keeping the mass of the bow tips to the min! I always try to do this anyway, but tend to overbuild them  for safety reasons. I'm wondering what is normal, not having seen to many wood bows.. I recently made a boo backed ipe 64" n.t.n.,  with a 13" handle section (trying to get close to a centre shot , lenght ways) so fairly short limbs. at the fades it is 1 1/2" and it  tapers at 13" from the knocks to 5/8" at the string groove, I was going for flat as possible limbs.  Do any of you bowyers out their reckon those tips should be thinned down, ? I feel they are too wide, but would hate to ruin the bow, cos its a fairly good bow, I'd be gratefull for any feed back on bow tip dimensions, and how thin they can be, also on boo backed hickory?
forgot to mention, the ipe bow is 62lbs, usually my bows are between 55&60lbs
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 06:47:34 am by dragonman »
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: thinning the tips
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 06:20:15 pm »
How thick are your tips?  You should be able to reduce the width to 3/8" at the string groove and even less but 3/8" will work fine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 06:43:46 pm »
pat B, the tips are 5/8" at the string groove, and 1/2" at the very tip.      3/8" at the string  groove is very thin!! willl they still be strong enough, ? there is no tip overlays?
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 06:59:21 pm »
Drago, 3/8 is plenty for ipe, lots of goys are going as thin as 1/8" which is pushing it. I like to use an antler overlay and cut the nock in the back of it. 3/8 should be good. Steve

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 08:31:24 pm »
Even on my 75#+ whitewood longbows I never make the tips wider than 3/8" anymore. With overlays, it's hardly a problem (even without).

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 01:18:38 am »
Yep, 3/8" is plenty. Put tip overlays like Steve recommended with the string groove across the back also.   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 06:50:31 am »
cheers guys,  I'm gonna do it and thin them down , but do you mean 3/8" at the string groove or at the very tip?  I usually cut the groove around 1" in from the tip making the tip about 1/8" thinner than at the groove,!     would 3/8" at the groove be ok and 1/4" at the tip???  for a 60lb bow,  I'm a bit nervous to go too far.

thanks,    David , AKA  dragonman
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 07:29:16 am by dragonman »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 07:35:21 am »
3/8 at the grooves will be fine and as thin as you want passed,that dose nothing anyway. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 10:23:55 am »
LOL. Normal? There's nothing normal about what we do! :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 02:54:45 pm »
I recently got a white oak semi-ELB shooting at 70#, it's nocks are 5/16" where the string sits. No problems yet ;).

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 06:58:22 pm »
Some of the guys on here like Sawfiler and Ryano make killer osage bows with tips that are not much bigger than a pencil. All the weight you can get off the tips is usually good with a heavy, hard wood like osage or ipe.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 04:09:51 pm »
thanks for the imput, much appreciated

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 04:47:52 pm »
I usually make mine about 3/16-1/4" wide where the string sits.  That's pushing it, but on a bow in the 50 pound range, it's enough.  For a heavier bow I would go up to about 5/16" between the string grooves. 
 For someone wanting to play it safe, I would recommend at least 1/4", but anything over 3/8" is overkill.
  You can go ultra narrow as long as the tip has some depth.
  Here's one on a 48# bow that's about 1/8" between the grooves.  Saw Filer

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 10:42:30 pm by Saw Filer »
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 06:13:17 pm »
Wow, Saw Filer, thats thin !!! the thinnest I've seen , I should be ok with 3/8 then!  thanks for the pic

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 06:12:30 am »
wow, that makes me ashamed to say how heavy my tips are, lol.  nice job SF
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.