Author Topic: Another Kids osage  (Read 8526 times)

Offline bigcountry

Another Kids osage
« on: January 27, 2009, 01:49:29 am »
Well, Saw flier has inspired me to build my new boy a bow.  I plan on simular dimensions and if it turns out 1/4 as cool as his, I will be pleased.

Here is the youngin now holding a left over piece from my first osage bow.  He doens't know it now, but that lumber will make him the coolest indian on the block in a few years.

Here she is all laid out and bandsawed.  Crooked as a Chicago politician.  She will need some straightening 

I opted to go around the knots.  I was going to incorporate them but for a kids bow, I figured I wanted durable

Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

Re: Another Kids osage
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 01:52:25 am »
I haven't made up my mind on the handle or fades.  I will get the limbs eaven and worry about handle area later. 

Saw said his handle was 2 1/8", but he had long fades.  These fades will be 1.25" from the handle.  I also want to put a pistol grip type on with a shelf.  Or like SawFlier did, I can try to put a shelf on both sides.  He might be "gulp" left handed.
Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 01:17:29 am »
Ok, I did some handle rasping.  Finished the shaping and started scrapin the belly.

Took a risk tonight and heated that upper limb to take out some of that dogleg.  Reason it was a risk is I shouldn't have shapped the handled yet. And I had to pull the limb at least 2" to the side to get it to line up.

She lines up better.
Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 02:02:55 pm »
Ok, finished shaping the handle

But still can't stand the idea of a knot in such a critical place on the handle

So I sanded down the handle "back" real smooth, and am going to cover with elk bone.

Sanded down a piece of elk bone real thin, and tapered the ends.

And carefully hand mated the two pieces and glued up and let dry overnight

This morning, using a dremel and every other file I had, I blended in and smoothed out.  Should be strong.

Not sure if I like the color.  Wished I would have used buffalo horn.  I might put an overlay of elk hoof or horn over this for looks.
Westminster, MD

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 02:27:55 pm »
Looking great so far.
  I always wait till I get them tillered before shaping the handle.  Keep us posted. Saw Filer
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 03:39:41 pm »
Coming along nicely. Great piece of wood!   I also wait until the end to shape the handle and tips.   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 11:01:17 pm »
Coming along nicely. Great piece of wood!   I also wait until the end to shape the handle and tips.   

Big mistake.  I get bored doing one thing and jump around.  I was there messin with the fades, and before I knew it, I had a nicholson 49 in my hand shapin.   I have never done a pistol grip and saw sawfliers and tried to mimic it.
Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 11:37:15 pm »
Ok, got her braced finally.  I started using a sanding block for tillering since everything seems so small and delicate.

I know it looks like I got a hinge on the right limb right out of the fades, but its just the way the bow lays.  Its real snakey there where i went around a big knot.

Here she is at 10" draw at 10lbs.  Still seem stiff for a young child.  I think now, I will shoot for 10lbs at 12" draw.

Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 01:08:31 am »
Well, I was almost to 14" tonight and she broke on the tiller tree.  She broke where I heat bent the limb sideways.  I tried to tiller her so she would go more that way, but got one side way too thin since I was shooting for such low weight.  Guess I learned something out of it.  I will have to go to bed and figure out what it was tomorrow.
Westminster, MD