Author Topic: preparing bamboo  (Read 3036 times)

troutbum76

preparing bamboo
« on: January 27, 2009, 05:34:09 pm »
i have some relatives that have backyards full of bamboo. How do you prepare green bamboo to become backing? I assume that appropriately sized shoots can be turned into arrows if straightened.

Shooter_G22

Re: preparing bamboo
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 08:39:46 pm »
YES,

somebody please explain this procedure,  if it all posible i will be trying to attepmt to harvest big bamboo stock to produce some backing strips for future projects and need this information as well...   im glad this thread was already here because i was bout to start a new one as well...

sooo   please explain a good procedure to harvest bamboo backing from green live bamboo tress..

thanks in advance for any and all help...

and thanks troutbum76, i guess we will learn togather ;)

Offline redwasp

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 09:43:37 pm »
i dont know too much about this only can remember a little of what i've read. the main concern is with the drying i believe you want to keep the whole shoot intact until dry and in direct sunlight to keep the inside of the nodes from getting mold. I can't remember exactly but the sun actually bakes the fibers together to give it more strength. sorry i couldn't help more. i think also really good air circulation is important.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 09:50:11 pm by redwasp »
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Minuteman

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 08:15:37 am »
I think they dry faster when you knock the center " combs" out with a chunk of re-bar or something. Allows better air circulation. I'm not sure if they have to be dried whole or not. I would assume so as it would tend to keep them straight as opposed to after they are split. I do remember someone sending me freshly cut, split bamboo though.
 Someone with boatloads of experience will be along shortly. ;)

Shooter_G22

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 10:19:24 pm »
well i dont really have a good spot to keep cut bamboo...  since i live in apt right now... and if i take anymore crap tomy dads house i think he will explode... bad enough he gets on to me for haveing some of my stuff in his garage as is...   lol...

i will have to try and see if i can maybe find a spot he wont mind me storing some bamboo around or maybe i should just find a good spot in our woods that not too many people would be easy to find or get to... and just leave them out there maybe hang em in a high tree and tie them off and have them set there till ready...   hmmm   going ot have to scout some terrain and see if we cant claim a chunk of some woods for that purpose...    lol... i could just see someboby comming across an area me and the kids set up for a bamboo and bow stave drying spot with all that stuff hanging in the trees....   and then they be like ...   whoooo $hit   BLAIR WITCH  :o  :o  and hall A$$ out of there lol..... :D :D :D

mmmmm yeeeahh  weee might have to do that one...lol...hehehehee

Offline kra

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 07:45:57 am »
your best friend ist time and patience ;D.

For my first backing, I got a green pole, cut it in half and placed it in my office (below the roof) for approx. 1/2 year+. While this, it turned from green to yellow.

Its a good idea to break the walls at the nodes so the slat may flatten a bit. Even better it may be to cut stripes and let them dry in house. The narrower the stripes is the less danger for cracks.