Author Topic: An oldie but a goodie  (Read 2868 times)

Offline mole

An oldie but a goodie
« on: January 27, 2009, 07:18:46 pm »
Whenever I go to shoot a little, chances are that I'll grab this bow. It's the second bow I made when I first got started back in 06. It's been shot hundreds upon hundreds of times by several different people. I usually hear people say how smooth and quite it is. I tell people that this is my 6 dollar/5 hour bow, because that's what it cost for the board at Lowes and how long it took me to make it (I lucked out with a great floor tiller). It's 72" tip to tip, 1 1/2 wide from fades to mid-limb and tapering to 1/2 nocks. It now pulls 50# @ 29". The linen wrapping is because I saw some slight chrysals due to three small knots in the wood. It did have a linen string, but that broke saturday.

My buddy Harley finding out how a red oak board performs. He then went out and bought one. lol That's a 32" red oak arrow that also came from Lowes.

Battle scars! The bottom/right damage is from me getting a little to heavy handed with the tomahawk. The upper/left damage is from my first attempt using a tiller tree. The pulley broke and the bow shot into the air and the dent is from the bow hitting the rafters. Note the bad glue joint. Placing a weight on the riser wasn't enough in this case.

She ain't perfect, but she's mine and she's a keeper.

John
Northeast Georgia

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: An oldie but a goodie
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 07:46:12 pm »
Most of the best bows aren't perfect. :)
Thanks for sharing.
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 07:50:46 pm »
Lots of memories in that one eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 08:13:42 pm »
My first bow was red oak, from Lowes.  Tillered out nice, shot easily, probably a whole 20# draw!!  The Pain in the Keister Bow is red oak. It's a good shooter. 

Is that a Hummingbird standing next to the bow?

Too bad about Harley, not having feet and all, but he seems to get around ok.   ;D
At least he has a good friend and you all share a hobby.  heh heh heh

piper

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 08:15:25 pm »
Looks like a good old workhorse. What kinda git-tars you got sitting there? You need to bring one of those to the next get-together and help us make some racket. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mole

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 10:43:58 am »
Thanks for the compliments.

As for the guitars...The acoustic one on the floor is a Gibson J50 from the 60's.  There's a good, close photo of it in one of the old National Geographics from when they were doing a story about small town Appalachian life.  The semi-acoustic guitar/hollow-body electric one in the chair is a 1957 Gibson es-225td with dual pick ups.  I guess they're oldies but goodies as well.

John
Northeast Georgia

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 10:14:37 pm »
I thought that looked like a J-50. I've got a mid/late 60's one just like it, great guitar.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.