Author Topic: osage knots  (Read 5387 times)

Offline deersled

osage knots
« on: January 28, 2009, 07:11:38 am »
I'm new to all this, so bare with me. I've got an osage stave and a more experienced bowyer is helping me with a bow. The stave has knots that run perpendicular to the grain. They are anywhere from 1/2" to an inch long. My friend said he has never seen this type of knot. He says most knots look like little fire ant hills. He's also mentioned "pin knots", but has never seen this type of knot. Does this ring a bell to anyone and is there anything out of the ordinary to be concerned about. Some of them run to the edge of the stave and some dont. Thanks

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: osage knots
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 07:26:40 am »
Don't really ring a bell ,but I have seen all kinds of knots in Osage,most can be worked with or worked around,some pictures would help.Most Osage is known for knots.  :) But usually don't keep you from making a good bow from it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline deersled

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 07:43:14 am »
I'll try to get some pics on here later. One other thing.....on the belly, on the opposite side of these knots is a dent. Looks like someone hit it with a hammer. On the exact opposite side of these knots.

Got some experience chasing a ring last night. Almost made it! Got down to the last foot of the stave and went right on thru the ring! Oh well, I needed something to do tonight.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 07:56:14 am »
When you lay your bow out on the stave, I'd try to advoid cutting through a knot or having on right on the edge of your limb. The very worse one's you might either try and advoid or if possible put in your handle area (non-bending).
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 08:33:20 am »
If you get time to post a few pics, you'll get more specific input. That stave was oversized and should allow for some error or room to manuever around knots. Keep us posted. You have mail ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 04:11:10 pm »
these knots look like scars...I have never seen any like it..they are raised as the tree seemed to build up its own guard for them and then on the belly they are indented...they look like a burn scar they way they raise up and then the belly is indented I hope Kevin post a pic because I am curious as to what they are called.they run across the back and across the grain..We have tried to lay the bow out around them and had to put one dead center of a working section of a limb but one is cut through and it is on the lower edge of a limb we can not avoid...personally I think they will hold as long as they aren't violated when chasing the back...when looking at the knot on the side of the stave it is barely visible but you can feel it there....OK Kevin post a pic bro...gut

Offline deersled

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 06:03:02 pm »
gosh, I hate this computer junk!!!!!! it says my file is too large. What does that mean and how do I fix it?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 05:37:44 am »
You have to reduce the size of the picture and you can only load 6 at a time.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline deersled

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 08:49:02 am »
ok....ok.....I'm an idiot. How do you resize pictures. I've done it before, but I don't remember how.

Offline deersled

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 08:53:41 am »
let me try one here

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline deersled

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 08:56:37 am »
ITS A MIRACLE........now if I could only take decent pictures. Hope these are ok.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline deersled

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 08:57:25 am »
that last one is the dent on the belly

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 09:11:23 am »
Just typical osage knots. Just take your time and stay with one ring. It can be challenging, but you'll get the hang of stay with the desired layer. ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 09:14:42 am »
How wide is that stave.Do you have room to lay the bow out and miss the know,Looks like the longitudinal grain swerves right around it.If it is wide enough. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

gutpile

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 01:50:53 pm »
we will make it work I am sure..can't avoid a few knots ...weirdest looking knots I have ever seen though..one thing they are not typical..no offense Tracy...I have seen plenty of osage knots and never seen any like these...especially with the indents on the belly that are 1/8 deep.....gut