Author Topic: Sinew and Hide Glue  (Read 24274 times)

Offline YewArcher

Re: Sinew and Hide Glue
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 01:07:53 am »
Where do you get that it is bone glue?

Steve

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 01:19:34 am »
The History Channel series 'Modern Marvels' toured the knox plant in thier episode about acids.It shows them recieving truck loads of 1" pieces of cow bone ,disolving them them in acid ,them chemicaly extracting the protiens .

Ralph

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 01:27:46 am »
Well now that I didnt know that it was on tv on a program. The cats outta the bag huh ? Steve.....my info came from talkin' directly with them. They had no BONES about tellin' me (Pun intended ) ;D Its food grade so the bone protein is more digestible.........bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 06:49:03 am »
Someone pass da popcorn eh ;) :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 07:43:25 am »
Thats ok....It still works great.  I think that a better way to say it though is to say that it has bone in it.....that I will believe.

Either way you look at it its a great glue. I use it a lot. I am not a spokesmen for Knox so could really care less what you all use. I will keep using it because I like it.

Steve

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 10:04:08 am »
Knox works great. Hide glue works great. Home-brew hide glue works great. The point is- no matter which is what, they all work. I haven't made a lot of sinewed bows, but I have sinewed three bows with Knox over the years and didn't have any problems. I sinewed one bow with homemade hide glue and didn't have any problems. Hide glue maybe has more mojo, but it's all good.Go forth and sinew.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 10:09:20 am »
Hillbilly, Yes thats the best way to put it. Remeber the "Wood Wars"??

lol....this is on the same lines. 

It all works.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 11:21:08 am »
Thats ok....It still works great.  I think that a better way to say it though is to say that it has bone in it.....that I will believe.

Either way you look at it its a great glue. I use it a lot. I am not a spokesmen for Knox so could really care less what you all use. I will keep using it because I like it.

Steve
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       The name of the thread is "Sinew and Hide glue ". Knox is bone glue NOT hide glue. Ifn ya wanna use semantics here ta say it has bone glue in it thats fine with me. Like you dont care what foks use. This is not the same as the white wood wars. White wood there was being said as good as osage and disputed  by the osage foks. There is no dispute here, the facts are out in the open fer all ta see. Knox is bone glue period its NOT hide glue as I said. That bein' said "keep on keepin' on "  and "whatever floats yer boat ." No axe ta grind here.........bob
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 02:21:57 pm by Justin Snyder »

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2009, 11:28:15 am »
Take a deep breath there. It will help you out tremendously.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2009, 11:31:41 am »
Steve...........your the one that needs ta take a deep breath and look at the title of the thread. ;)........bob

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2009, 11:37:29 am »
I dont think so....

Opening question of the thred:

"I have done a search on hide glue on this page, and my head hurts.  Should I just use Knox for sinewing my bow?  Or should I go buy a 1/2 pound from a music instrument place like frets.com?  "

You can look at the title of the thred all you want. I am answering the question posted. And now I remeber why I have not been posting here  :-\

Steve
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 11:45:41 am by YewArcher »

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2009, 12:04:11 pm »
ok then to answer the original question .

Hide glue is sold by the manufacturer (can't name them ) by it's strength measured in jelly grams .Weaker glue is cheaper .The weakest glue they sell is listed at 80 jelly grams ,the strongest at 512 jelly grams .I have no idea if anyone lists the jelly gram numbers for knox , but I do know archery supply places don't post the batch strength of the glue they resell .

This leads me to believe most suppliers carry glue much closer to the 80 jelly gram rating ,than the much higher 512 jelly gram rating .This could easily explain knox's current good reputation as glue. I have bought the 512 jelly gram glue direct myself (he told me he sold very little of it) and it is much stronger than most hide glue I've used .The batch of 512 jelly gram glue I got is very close to well made ,homemade hide glue ,and will crackle glass.

Ralph

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 02:21:12 pm »
Steve...........your the one that needs ta take a deep breath and look at the title of the thread. ;)........bob

Well, since I was the thread starter, let me explain my wants.  I wanted to basically know about sinewing and what to use.  I am a newbie.  And knox is obviously a choice for some.  So I appreciate the info on all of it.  Even TB3.   But the idea of using TB3 doens't make sense to me.  I thought the idea was to use a protien animal glue with a protein animal product and they would meld into a beatiuful good back of a bow. And add wieght.

Thanks for all's contribution.  They are all appreciated.
Westminster, MD

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2009, 02:52:13 pm »
ok then to answer the original question .

Hide glue is sold by the manufacturer (can't name them ) by it's strength measured in jelly grams .Weaker glue is cheaper .The weakest glue they sell is listed at 80 jelly grams ,the strongest at 512 jelly grams .I have no idea if anyone lists the jelly gram numbers for knox , but I do know archery supply places don't post the batch strength of the glue they resell .

This leads me to believe most suppliers carry glue much closer to the 80 jelly gram rating ,than the much higher 512 jelly gram rating .This could easily explain knox's current good reputation as glue. I have bought the 512 jelly gram glue direct myself (he told me he sold very little of it) and it is much stronger than most hide glue I've used .The batch of 512 jelly gram glue I got is very close to well made ,homemade hide glue ,and will crackle glass.

Ralph
Knox claims a gel strength around 350 grams, but it does weaken as it dries. Hide glue is usually about 20% higher dried than as a gel.  Hide glue purchased for woodworking averages around 250. That explains the tests in TBB I.  If you make your own from hide you can get more strength.   You can make liquid hide glue by adding urea to warm hide glue.  The shelf life of liquid hide glue is about 6 months. After that the urea starts to degrade the glue.

bigcountry, I would take AKAPK up on the hide offer if I were you.  You can even grind the dried chunks of hide and they dissolve faster.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2009, 03:10:04 pm »
I do like a good heated discussion, you cant buy knox over here so I dont have to worry about it, I'm about to try some fish bladder glue that I  just made my self!!  never used any animal glues so far , so wish me luck!! my plan is to do away with chemicals  alltogether,

by  the way I believe hide glue will be stronger than knox if it's made well, and of a higher grade ,

you can only buy one grade of hide glue here as well , which I believe is graded at 80 (80 what  I dont know) , is this strong enough to gue backings on or should I make my own? and if I make my own how do I know what grade it is ???
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 03:36:44 pm by dragonman »
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......