Author Topic: Sinew and Hide Glue  (Read 24273 times)

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Sinew and Hide Glue
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009, 04:22:41 pm »
.................This is ridiculous an I guess ya gotta agree with foks or they dont wanna post. Bigcountry..............good luck with yer project.....bob

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2009, 04:53:10 pm »
[bigcountry, I would take AKAPK up on the hide offer if I were you.  You can even grind the dried chunks of hide and they dissolve faster.

I didn't see the offer ???
Westminster, MD

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2009, 06:24:06 pm »
This is a good thread, even with the snippin an snipin. I learned a lot, "gel strength" "rabbit strength" and even bone strength. Thanks for starting it and thanks to all for the good info. I have been ignorantly using bottled hide glue for fletching, knoxx for wrapping an musical grade stuff for backing. Then to make things worse I have even mix an matched those glues when I ran out of one or the other. I have had backing failures, but mostly from the sinew/hideglue team overpowering the wood and separating the fibers like a delamination.
Can't realy complain about the glue there tho just my choice of stave.
Oh well enuf of ramblin.
Thanks again for all the good info.

"Shoot low fellas, the bad guys are ridin ponies."
keep it simple
make it fun

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2009, 06:40:21 pm »
[bigcountry, I would take AKAPK up on the hide offer if I were you.  You can even grind the dried chunks of hide and they dissolve faster.

I didn't see the offer ???
It was there for quite a while. He deleted it now, he must have changed his mind.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2009, 06:45:40 pm »
majsnuff, fish bladder is great glue.  It is more flexable than hide or bone glue. You can glue leather with it for making quivers and such.  Musical grade should be fine as long as you aren't making short high stress bows with wood backings.  I don't see a problem with most animal glues as long as you aren't building hornbows. For that I would use nothing but the best hide glue.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline adb

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2009, 07:44:32 pm »
I've used both knox and Titebond hide glue for sinew. I must say, the TB hideglue works very well, and is sure a bunch easier.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2009, 09:33:44 pm »
One other thing.  Knox is the secret to a good 8" mohawk.  ;D It will keep a mohawk in place better than any hair gel but washes out with warm water.  :o Only a bald guy would know that.  ;)

SW Utah