Author Topic: The White Company  (Read 7866 times)

Offline JBL

The White Company
« on: January 29, 2009, 04:50:37 pm »
Has anyone read the "White Company" by Doyle?  I was just wondering if it features the warbow.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
Re: The White Company
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 07:26:55 pm »
Yes it does feature an archer as one of the main characters but it's a bit on the quaint side.  I believe that it was one of Doyle's favorites.

Offline Cromm

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 07:39:28 pm »
Yeah i've got it but have not read it yet. Have started two or three times but never finished it......It seem ok.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline JBL

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 03:08:56 pm »
Thanks for the info I was just reading about Sir John Hawkwood and The White Company in another book and was wondering if it would be worth the read. 

Offline Cromm

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 06:10:50 pm »
Yeah there's a book called Sir "something" that names the White Company also......
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline shamus

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 10:52:38 am »
I read it years ago and it was quaint. A nice yarn. They had a shooting competition between some crossbowmen and longbowmen that was neat.

It's not really archery centered though, but still a classic and entertaining story.

If you want archery, check out the Ranger's Apprentice series. It's a children's series, but very well done. My review of it: http://analogperiphery.blogspot.com/2008/07/book-review-rangers-apprentice-by-john.html

enjoy!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 12:08:41 pm by shamus »

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 05:18:32 pm »
The White Company features somewhat in Louis L'Amour's "The Walking Drum".  It's not archery specific, but it makes mention of the advantage of having archers in the company when there were no or few archers on the side of their various enemies.  All in all, it's a good read.

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 01:53:30 pm »
Has anyone read the "White Company" by Doyle?  I was just wondering if it features the warbow.  Thanks in advance.
I've read it. It is entertaining fiction about English archers in the Hundred Years War. Okay as long as you don't think it is an authentic source of information as Featherstone did when he quoted from it in his book on archery.

youngbowyer

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 10:13:59 am »
I read it years ago and it was quaint. A nice yarn. They had a shooting competition between some crossbowmen and longbowmen that was neat.

It's not really archery centered though, but still a classic and entertaining story.

If you want archery, check out the Ranger's Apprentice series. My review of it: http://analogperiphery.blogspot.com/2008/07/book-review-rangers-apprentice-by-john.html

enjoy!

I love the Ranger's apprentice series! If you want archery based you need this book very detailed archery scenes. I would recommend this book but it is more for young adults ranging from 12 to 14 but i doubt that an adult wouldn't like it!

Offline JBL

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 11:00:49 pm »
I read the book and as Holloywood would say "a nice period piece".  I am in the process of reading "The Bowmen Of England" by Featherstone, but just started last night so I am interested in how he brings in "The White Company" other than the quotes at the start of the chapters.

youngbowyer

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 08:59:45 am »
Another books you might be fond of is,"Agincourt" it's about some lone archer who is kicked out of England but then eventually he goes back and fights with king henry(this is not a childrens book like ranger's apprenitce) you cna check it out on amazon and read the first chapter.

Offline JBL

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 12:48:39 pm »
I am a Cornwell addict and bought AGINCOURT the first day it came out.  Great read.

Offline shamus

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 12:07:53 pm »

Another good archery read is "Sherwood" by Park Godwin.  Godwin does great historical fiction. My review: http://analogperiphery.blogspot.com/2009/03/book-review-sherwood-by-parke-godwin.html