Author Topic: Bulky/ large tips??  (Read 3706 times)

whitewoodshunter

Bulky/ large tips??
« on: January 30, 2009, 11:18:59 am »
These are the tips on one of my bows. The bow is 68 inches ntn, and 52 @ 26. The bow shoots really well and real fast, but I was wondering if the tips were to bulky?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Bulky/ large tips??
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 11:28:18 am »
Judging by the Pictures.....a standard Bic Ink Pen is approx. 3/8" in diameter....that would make your Tips around 1/2" wide....you don't tell all of the Dimensions of the Limbs....but to me a 1/2" Tip isn't too bulky.....could drop them to 3/8"....but then that all would depend on the Wood you were working with too....and you don't state that either...if it is Red Oak.....I would leave them alone at 1/2" for sure.........JMHO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Badbill

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 11:32:51 am »
Look good to me!  Maybe a bit big if you catch a side wind.LOL. ;D To me it's personal preference, if I'm the one shooting the bow I put on what I like.

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 11:34:27 am »
Oh yeah sorry.The bow is a hickory backed ERC.The limbs fade from 1.5 to .5 at the tips.It's kind of a pyramid style, the belly thickness is almost the same throughout the limbs.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 11:41:50 am »
Whitewood,
   Because weight has it's biggest effect on the tips as you know, then it's best to go a light as possible towards the tips. That being said, any Wood that is not working wood can rob energy, but must be balanced with safety. Hard woods (Osage, Guava and others) can generally go smaller tips then white woods because of strength and hardness. Also deeper and narrow is generally better the wider and thin ,on the tips. Thin to to the point where they are as thin as possible without bending is a good rule of thumb.
  Looking at those tips here are my thoughts. They are fairly good but if you were going for maximum performance they could be a little shallower on the top. there is some excess wood on the feather in to the limb before the string grove. Also a point vs. a square lead in to the knock will allow even more wood to be removed.
 Depending on what wood it is, you could probably go just a touch narrower for about 6-8 inches out from the tip. Of coarse without knowing the wood or seeing a relaxed,braced and full draw it it hard to say where the threshold of the safety margin is. Hope that helps.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 11:42:16 am »
Looks pretty good to me also,you could go a little thinner and a little narrower if you like but if it is shooting good and no hand shock ,why bother. :) Nice work.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 11:44:33 am »
Cedar is pretty soft and light, so I think I'd leave well enough alone.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 02:25:49 pm »
I've  just  been  asking the same question, so I've been looking into it, your tips look about right for the wood type, I think you could go narrower with stronger wood, but like the guys say erc isn't  so dense
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 02:32:50 pm »
Cedar is pretty soft and light, so I think I'd leave well enough alone.

yup..........

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 03:11:39 pm »
                                                                      ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome