Author Topic: I need OVERDRAFT protection  (Read 4876 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
I need OVERDRAFT protection
« on: January 30, 2009, 09:05:29 pm »
I'll bet this has happened to someone else here: 

I had a bow done, ready to ship to  family member.  It was hickory, 68", 27" draw.  A fellow stopped in the shop and admired it so I braced it and handed it over.  He pulled it back to ...hmmm.......30"-plus someplace and cracked it just north of the grip.  Oh, crap. 

I guess i'll start putting those "over draw" strings on my bows, and let the final owner take them off when they want. 

Overdraft protection is a good thing. 

(the crack is about an inch long, comes off the corner of the back and can be closed up with hand pressure.   I may glue it, wrap it with artificial sinew and an over wrap of thin rawhide.  It may shoot again, but I cant gift it this way.  )

Piper

Offline JustAim

Re: I need OVERDRAFT protection
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 09:11:04 pm »
Did you show him your shoe size?... >:D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 10:44:40 pm »
 Make a blank arrow just long enough to safely draw the bow and make them use it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 11:01:25 pm »
Thanks guys.   Both good ideas.   Live and learn (the hard way)

piper

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 02:44:19 am »
I never hand one of my bows braced to someone I don't know. I did that once and learned my lesson.
Gordon

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 06:46:53 am »
Been there done that Kieth :'(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline bcbull

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 09:12:05 am »
hey piper  you need to do what i did  i had that happen 3 time s over the years    i fixed that plm real quick i got me a big ol piece  of RATTAN CAN

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 09:18:56 am »
Yup, I've also been there-done that!
My NEW to me sister-in-law wanted to see my bows....so I handed her my first built......she told me that she knew how to shoot and had taken lessons from someone she knew.

Well, before I could say "DO NOT DRAW THAT BOW" she grabbed the string and drew way back by her ear. Right there I grabbed the bow and the string by her draw hand. and said let go. She was totally puzzled by my actions. I told her if she really wanted to learn how to shoot, come to the club and I'D teach her the right way!.....she hasn't taken me up on the offer yet!

Offline bcbull

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 09:21:25 am »
 sorry  my computer is goin haywire this a m  from the storms  i was sayin get a big ol piece of rattan cane  make a flat bow outta  that  let the guys ya dont know pull that first befor they touch  ur good bows  iv yet to see a bull who can break a rattan cane bow haha  at least it might save ya a bunch a headaces later  brock

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 10:11:18 am »
I always put an arrow on the bow before I hand it to them, and tell them draw at the ground. I've had people over draw my bows, and I've also had people jsut dry fire them.

While working on a bow for someone once, I actually tied a loose piece of string betwen the string and the handle to stop them from pulling the bow farther. Of course, when they reached the end of the string they grunted and couldn't pull anymore, so they let go- splitting the top limb's nock :(.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 01:19:25 am »
Welcome, you've just been initiated to the "You break it, you buy it club".  You DID make him buy it didn't you?

If not, he will put on his silly grin before he purposely breaks the next bow.

I NEVER let anyone pull back a bow I've made unless I can live with the broken pieces.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr