Author Topic: greasy moose sinew  (Read 3471 times)

Offline cubdrvr

greasy moose sinew
« on: January 30, 2009, 11:19:26 pm »

I'm going to back a hickory board bow with moose leg sinew.  It feels greasier than deer sinew after separating.  Should I try warm water and some type of soap to de-grease it, or will it work as is?  This bow will be backed in Perry reflex so hopefully have quite a bit of tension on it.   

whitewoodshunter

Re: greasy moose sinew
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 11:29:36 pm »
Are you applying it with hide glue? If so try to get as much of the grease out as you can. but it shouldn't matter to much as long as it's not to greasy. The greasiness is probably fat tissue and to much could cause the sinew to not adhere that well.

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 11:45:19 pm »
you can slso acetone the sinew right before you soke it in your glue

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 11:52:40 pm »
 A pinch of lye will make the fats (grease ) gather and fall to the bottom. Buy the lye in any grocery store or ifn ya wanna be real primitive use a bit more of white wood ash..............bob

Offline cubdrvr

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 12:16:48 am »

I am using hide glue that I made using the 24 hr. simmer method, and am using the first pour for this particular project.  So, with the acetone, do you wipe it or immerse it?  With the lye, how much and how long?  I'm a little afraid of the lye as I don't want to break down the sinew.  Is it just a quick rinse, or do you let it sit in it for awhile?  I presume I need to rinse with a neutralizer like vinegar?  Thanks for the help.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 12:49:24 am »
A pinch of lye like a fingertip amt. Drop it in hot glue and stir . Watch the fats gather and drop tra the bottom of the pot. Y can leave em there they wont affect the sinew. NOT a bunch of lye a pinch ! Ask yer grandma ifn ya got one what a pinch is hahaha ;D