Author Topic: I have a question  (Read 2304 times)

bearbowman

I have a question
« on: February 02, 2009, 02:08:06 pm »
I see on quite a few posts here the word pyramid design in bow making and i was wondering what that is.

I have finally finished my kids bedrooms (winter project) and i am now ready to attack one of my hickory staves that I have in my garage. I am hopefully going to pick up a spoke shave tonight and get started. I'll post pictures.

Offline DanaM

Re: I have a question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 02:11:22 pm »
Pyramid design means that the limbs have a straight taper from the fade to the tips. For instance from 2" to 3/8" at the tip.
With this design the wood will be one thickness for the full length of the limb, tiller is accomplished by the width taper.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 02:13:48 pm »
Bearbowman,
  A pyramid design has a limb that starts wide about 1.5" to 2" at the fades and has a straight taper towards the tips. The thickness stays about the same all the way. The taper on the sides is what gives it a natural tiller.  Hope that makes sense.   Keenan

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 04:28:55 pm »
as above,  explains it well
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......