Author Topic: Custom Sheepsfoot Knife Build  (Read 9679 times)

Offline Greebe

Custom Sheepsfoot Knife Build
« on: May 18, 2014, 09:11:21 pm »
I have been posting this on the blade forums and thought that some of you guys would be interested in it as well so I am reposting it here. If you have questions of comments let me know.

After reading a lot of good reviews on the Becker tweeners, I decided that I would like to try out the handle scales on my own blade design and create something unique.  My idea is to make a custom sheepsfoot knife using the BK-15/16/17 handle scales. I am using a piece of NJSB 1084, with a carbon content of around .87%. The specified thickness is 5/32, but is actual .1775"

I am grateful to one of the members here that graciously sent me some handle scales, thanks. I have been wanting a sheepsfoot knife, so figured I would give it a try with these handle scales.

Here is todays progress.

First I started off with the piece of 1084 and laid out the outline with dye.

Then I took it to the bandsaw and roughly cut out the profile to save grinding time and belts.

Next I squared up the rest on my homemade 2x72 belt grinder and worked the profile down.

I then took a center punch and carefully aligned the handle scale and punched where the holes would be drilled.

Here is after attaching the handle scales prior to refining the handle.

This is after further working the handle profile down on the belt grinder to get a nice fit.

The next thing I will do is to start flat grinding the bevel. I think I will do a high flat grind instead of a full flat grind. Grind up to 3/8" or so to the spine of the blade. I like the looks of that better then a FFG.

Keep an eye out for updates as I will be posting more of this build soon.

Thanks for looking and please comment.

Greebe

Offline Greebe

Re: Custom Sheepsfoot Knife Build
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 09:13:00 pm »
After some recommendations on the bladeforums I did a little bit of modifications to it and ended up with the following.

Alright. I decided to go ahead and modify the blade profile a little more. I think I like it this way better.

What do you guys think? Do you like it?

Thanks
Greebe

Offline Greebe

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 09:14:59 pm »
Here is where I am after today. I got the bevel ground out Friday. Today I drilled the two half inch holes in the handle for better balance and added a lanyard hole. Keep in mind this is still at the 120 grit phase and the bevel will get taken down to 400 tonight. So things will be much more finished looking in the next set of photo's.

Overall I am liking my design pretty well. I am going to make another one soon, but make the blade a bit wider like I originally had it.

Greebe

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 10:21:27 pm »
Lookin good Greebe. I like that sheepfoot design! What are you grinding the bevel with? dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Greebe

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 10:45:05 pm »
I am using a 2x72 belt grinder I designed and made. I will get a picture for you tomorrow.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 11:29:32 am »
Very cool design and I like those scales!  Will you stitch a sheath?
1’—>1’

Offline Greebe

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 02:43:37 pm »
Lastnight I sanded the knife down to 400 grit and it looks much nicer now. Just need to heat treat it and do the final finishing. It is getting close. Whooheee!!

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 03:23:15 pm »
That's a good looking knife, I've made a few that are similar but had trouble selling them, I use one often myself.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline portlandfire

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 05:29:53 pm »
      That is real nice.  I'm just a beginner, and playing with edger blades and circular saw blades, and I appreciate your good pictures and explanation.  Thanks again.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 09:24:15 pm »
nice looking knife
from what I hear aldos 1084 is some good stuff.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 09:54:39 pm »
nice looking knife
from what I hear aldos 1084 is some good stuff.

I've heard the same, I especially like their 5160
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 03:47:46 pm »

N'yah, N'yah, N'yah, Greebe has dollar weed, Greebe has dollar weed! ;D ;D ;D

Very nice knife, and build along.  I like that design also.  You said you were going to make another one, that you wanted the blade wider.  How about a 1/4 inch or so wider than the handle, and put a small ramp with horizontal grooves, for the thumb?  That style of blade is easier to sharpen the whole blade in a consistent manner. ;)  It is also a great skinner, and all around utility knife style.  Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

Offline Greebe

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 12:13:49 am »
Thanks everyone for your nice comments. It has been a fun project. Really want to get the heat treat done but I have not had the time to do it yet. Soon.