Author Topic: can anyone help me out?  (Read 5424 times)

tweeds

can anyone help me out?
« on: January 31, 2009, 11:10:06 pm »
Hi I am new to the message board.  I have a rock I would like to ID if anyone can help.

What I am triing to do is find enough flint or some rock that I can attempt to do some flintknapping and was wondering if this was what I was looking for.  I am a cubscout leader and wanted to find enough for the 12 of my boys to give this a try.  I don't want anyone to think for a minute that I think anyone can just pick up a piece of flint and do this skill.  I know it takes a long time to get good enough to even call yourself an ammitoure and don't  want to take anything away from those who are very good at the skill.  I just thought the boys would enjoy and see how hard it is to do something like this. Thanks in advance

Eric

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: can anyone help me out?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 11:40:47 pm »
PM wolf watcher, he knows rocks.. and is a master flintknapper..Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline knap_123

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 12:09:31 am »
were you from? this will help to identifi the possible stone. its kind of hard because it looks like any other river washed rock.  can you possible remove a flake from it?  on that last pic with the ridge, you can  strike it on the edge and a flake shouald remove.  color  and texture help to identify the stone as well.  another way is to pick up to possible  nodgules and tap them together.  the more glassier the ring sounds the better off you are.   but i  wouald  just emove a flake and you'll no for sure.  good luck, john

tweeds

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 12:36:51 am »
I am from Erie, Pa, along the shore of Lake Erie
here is a picture after I chipped a piece away, the grey circle is where I chipped it

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 12:07:11 pm »
There is allot of rock out there that is new..unknown to modern knappers. if you found it on the shore it washed up.. no telling what it is or were it came from.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 12:52:40 pm »
Tweeds, I,m from Waterfrd,Pa. an I have a pc of rock that is simular  to yours an I took off a flake an wasn't to impressed with mine. I believe it is a very poor grade of flint that I have but I don't know enough about raw stone to really have much of an opinion. I,ve bought most of my rock because I can't find any in our area. There is a man in Girard that I would say is a pro at Knapping maybe He could help you, His name is Mike Santiago. Wish I could help you an scouts with more info. Later Bob

Offline knap_123

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 05:06:52 pm »
if you want,  i will send you a box of flakes and small chunks perfect for fire starting kits and maybe some bird points.  you'll have to pay shipping though cause i'm just to broke.  i can fill the large box thats 12.95 and i promise you'll be very plesed with the amount. perfect for some scouits to play with and cheap enough  you wont mind if they brake it or throw it in the woods.  i'll post a pic if your interested.

tweeds

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 06:02:15 pm »
if you want,  i will send you a box of flakes and small chunks perfect for fire starting kits and maybe some bird points.  you'll have to pay shipping though cause i'm just to broke.  i can fill the large box thats 12.95 and i promise you'll be very plesed with the amount. perfect for some scouits to play with and cheap enough  you wont mind if they brake it or throw it in the woods.  i'll post a pic if your interested.

Knap_123 that would be great, thank you very much, very generous of you.  I will PM you.

Thank you to all that responded, I will post pictures of the boys working on this project for you all to see.  Should be a great time.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 09:11:31 pm »
 Send me your address and I'll get you guy's a box.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

tweeds

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 09:52:39 pm »
well figured I had better practice a little to figure out some things before doing it with the boys so I broke apart the rock from above. these are the pieces I came up with

I then tried making some points and this is what I came up with.  Remember this was my first attempt at this so don't laugh to much.  Still don't know what kind of rock it is so it might not even be a good rock for knapping.

I will keep practicing  ;D

Offline xin

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 11:01:40 pm »
There are points  in the archaeologiclal record that don't look any better than your first effort.  Good first try.  Keep practicing and have fun.

Offline knap_123

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 09:50:37 am »
very nic for your fifrst points!  youi can also make a flint and steel kit with a piece of that flint. looks like its good stuff and heavy with silica!  shouald really throw some sparks.  just make some char cloth and use a old file.

Offline crumrw

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 10:28:42 pm »
I think you actually did wonders with river cobble like that.  Usually that stuff is so freeze fractured that you can get good flakes, it just crumbles.  Congrats on a great first start.
Garland, TX

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 11:06:27 am »
Looks like some pretty good rock.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

tweeds

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 10:10:22 pm »
Thanks for the compliments everyone.  The snow is finally starting to melt here so maybe I will be able to get out and find some stone.  Although after asking around at work it is not looking good for my area.