Author Topic: tillering opinions - FAILURE!!!!  (Read 8377 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: tillering opinions - FAILURE!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 09:30:45 pm »
 That really blows, Wade, sorry, couldn't help it. ;) My thought was the tiller was really good, I would have quit at 28". If I was going to try and get those last few inches out of it I would have dropped in and scraped between 4 and 6" from the tip. Leaving the last 4" stiff and slightly whip tillered.
  I think you could super glue and clamp it. Wrap it with sinew and back it with rawhide or sinew back it. But I don't think I'd still try to get 30" out of it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 12:16:25 am »
Dang! that was coming along nicely.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 08:14:50 am »
I really hate that! The bow was looking pretty good and you were soo close. I'm with the other guys, I stop tillering at the actual draw I'm after. At least you didn't have it sealed with a snake skin on the back...could have been worse.

I didn't see any obvious tillering problems other then a little more bending in the fades like already mentioned.

Like Gordon said, it's only wood...there's a lot more wood out there. Like I've heard Pappy say about a 1000 time's..."gotta have fire!".  ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 09:49:14 am »
That sucks wade, lots of splinters lately, You could glue it down and give it to an ex girlfriend >:D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 10:01:00 am »
i'd superglue the splinter down and back it with sinew.  then you can retiller the outter limbs a bit and maybe get to 30".
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 10:01:28 am »
george.
well now that I look again after a night of sleep and some time away. I see that the rt limb is still a bit stiff in mid outer.

I draw about 29 1/2 inches. so I always shoot for a 30" tiller just in case I get a bit excited about that really long shot that I am trying to make. plus my brother draws 30. so if we shoot together I want to be able to had the bow to him and let him plink away with out worry.

well I'm gonna glue, wrap and back it and see if it survives. and also tiller out that flat spot in the mid outer limb and get it bending just a bit more in outer limbs to ease the strain in the inner limbs a bit.

last couple of bows I did I went for more of a full arc but the bow was shorter too.

Oh yea... george.... to answer your questions about the stave.
this was an osage stave split. 66" long, short handle and fades. 3" handle and and like 1.25 fades If I remember right. it was 1.5" wide to mid limb then tapered to tips.

think I juut overstressed the inner limbs. plus looking at it closely the ring was thinner where she popped.

thanks all.
wade

N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 10:14:44 am »
n2, sounds like it was just one of those things. Design seems right though I think it's  a little short for 30 inches. Your tiller was good. I think you need to look to design as a possible reason for the wood letting go. You pushed the osage to the max. I think a backing of rawhide would have brought brought you home. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

gutpile

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 11:12:19 am »
Wade sorry about your bow..it was looking sweet...glad you saee the rt. mid limb..that is what I was seeing..where did it pull the splinter?...which limb?....gut

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 11:24:53 am »
gut it was that right limb that pulled the splinter. just out of the fade a bit where it was bending the most. rings were also thinner on that side just a few inches before the big knot that went all the way through the center.  I also heat treated to straighten out a little twist and when I did I got some cracks along the back running parallel to the grain. Not deep ones but the splinter followed one of those exactly.

so yea prob a combo of pushing it to the limits of design.. bit stiff in outer limb of the same that pulled splinter, the heat treat cracks, and the thinner ring section. Just couldnt take it.

So chris has got me thinking on the sinew... I was planning on super glue, then back with silk then skin if it held up for a ton of shots.... didnt want to put too much more time into it if it is gonna go.

you guys got any opinion on which might hold better. Sinew or silk backing?

would be nice to sinew it, flip tips and even out that flat spot. but dont want to invest a ton of time if she is gonna blow... guess there is only one way to find out.

gotta least try. silk would be quicker and easier for sure.
later
wade

N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 11:48:48 am »
I'd do silk or rawhide sinew is to much work for something that may or may not hold up. I've had better luck with raw hide than silk though....
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2009, 01:36:25 pm »
I'd go with rawhide, if it was me. It offers more protection than silk.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

gutpile

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2009, 01:45:42 pm »
Agreed rawhide seems to be a better backing for protection than silk...you can superglue the spot and then back......might make it then...gut

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2009, 06:09:24 pm »
n2,let me continue with why the break may have happened. It happened right near a big knot in an area that was bending quite a bit. In my view, that's it right there, my friend. Been there. Done that. Knots need to appear slightly stiffer than the rest of the limb. If they bend too much it's not a good thing. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2009, 06:44:23 pm »
Nah - not the knot.. break occured about 8" away from it. closer to the handle. where the shiny spot is now in the pic below. knot is at the top.

BTW - got it superglued now. Now just gotta find some rawhide.... anybody got any they want to trade for?

N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2009, 09:32:36 am »
Visit here:

http://www.mid-east.com/index.asp

Buy a big , thin drumhead.   piper