Author Topic: Why not primitive?  (Read 3184 times)

Offline Kegan

Why not primitive?
« on: February 07, 2009, 10:29:07 pm »
I recently purchased Byron Ferguson's Incredible Shots II video, to add to the collection of Hill movies we have. After watching it about seven times, I realized that most of the stuff he did, wasn't restricted to the super-fast glassbows he shot and perfectly consistent aluminums, but just to be a good shot. Really, he was, if any, only a tad better than Howard Hill (he used, form what I read, marginally spined arrows for the most part)

So, why not primitive trick shooters then? My brother and I, even with our rather poorly designed or executed gear and marginal tecnique have managed some tough shots, like hitting a golfball and bottle cap in the air, as well as all the standard out of position shots and some other less impressive tricks.

Any reason why a primitve archer couldn't be the next Hill or Ferguson? Seems there are plenty of steps out there that could be taken to make "primitive" equipment shoot as well and as consitently as some of the modern stuff (minus a few fps)?

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: Why not primitive?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 11:18:07 pm »
I would think that any archer with a natural gift like Byron, or Hill for that matter could execute the shots with whatever equipment desired. Someday I am sure someone will bring an all wood bow and wood arrows to the table and show us all what we have been missing... I would volunteer but i can't hit anything unless it has a heartbeat ;D ;) shoot straight Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 11:45:23 pm »
A bow is only a tool no matter if it is wood, glass or steel. With the proper arrows and consistent form and release there is no reason why someone couldn't shoot as well as those two guys. It is more of what's in the brain than in the hand.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 11:53:46 pm »
Maybe the reason there aren't more primitive archers doing trick shots is the time involved in making the equipment....and the difficulty in making a perfectly matched primitive set from scratch.  The availability of things like plastic arrow nocks, mass-produced glass bows, matched arrow shafts, etc, etc, makes all-primitve equipment seem like a waste of time.  Especially when that time can be spent shooting.

My 2 cents. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 03:35:41 pm »
Howard Hill did shoot all wood self made English Long Bows and I am sure that a matched set of primitive arrows and string would not have been much of an obstacle to him. So yea why not.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 04:45:41 pm »
Thanks for the input guys :).