Author Topic: Intuitive shooting questions  (Read 10339 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Re: Intuitive shooting questions
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 05:28:49 pm »
Kegan, that sounds like great advice.  That's what I've been doing actually.  Most of my practice has been at 10 yards.  After 4 or 5 shots to get zoned in, I consistantly shoot an apple size group.  While roving the other day, I started shooting at mole hills from 20 to 30 yards.  Again after 4 or 5 shots, I was zoned in and hitting.  I'm hoping the more I practice, build the muscle memory and sight memory, I won't need the 4 or 5 shots.  Whitetails won't give me practice shots.  haha
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Kegan

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 05:42:06 pm »
Kegan, that sounds like great advice.  That's what I've been doing actually.  Most of my practice has been at 10 yards.  After 4 or 5 shots to get zoned in, I consistantly shoot an apple size group.  While roving the other day, I started shooting at mole hills from 20 to 30 yards.  Again after 4 or 5 shots, I was zoned in and hitting.  I'm hoping the more I practice, build the muscle memory and sight memory, I won't need the 4 or 5 shots.  Whitetails won't give me practice shots.  haha

That's excellent! Along with muscle memory is subconscious mapping- the ingraining of the arrow's flight in your mind. It's what lets you make those quick shots at unknown distances. It seems you have muscle memory down, and with more practice you'll get that arrow flight ingrained into your mind. At that point, even your misses will be close to the target.

Best of luck!

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 08:17:49 pm »
Thanks Kegan,  This might sound somewhat crazy and metaphysical, but I'm a big believer in visualization.  I add physical movement to my visualization practices, also. 
Explaination and examples:
While in middle school I came down with the flu and couldn't practice or play basketball in for nearly 2 weeks.  While in bed I would visualize my shooting jump shots.  When I was able to get out of bed, I would visualize and actually practice jump shots in the house without a ball of course.  My first day back to school was a game day.  Since I had been absent, I did get to start and came in half way through the first quarter.  I scored 18 points in the game, my career high to that point.  Since then I've used that technique with a lot of things I do.

I've shot wheelie bows on and off for the last 15 years.  Usually, I viewed hunting with a bow (compound) as way to scout deer for gun season.  This season I got serious about bow hunting.  There was a span of about 3 weeks that I couldn't practice shooting this season.  I did however keep practicing and visualizing finding my anchor points (I use 3--chin anchored in the crease of my hand and thumb, string to the corner of my mouth and the string slightly touching just off the center of my nose) and smooth release.  I was getting concerned because I hadn't actually shot my bow.  I had just a few minutes one evening to shoot.  I planned to hunt the next morning.  At 15 yards I grouped 5 arrows in a silver dollar size group.  At 25 yards 5 arrows could be covered by the bottom of a coke can.  I felt pretty confident of my abilities for the next mornings hunt.

The chills forced me to leave my stand a bit earlier than I had planned the next morning, about 8:30.  Walking back to my house I caught the movement of deer on the other hillside moving toward me.  It was a 6 pointer with an ugly rack.  I quickly moved back the way I had come then dropped over the hill.  If the deer stayed on course it should cross a path I kept mowed across the the drainage of my pond.  I no sooner got positioned next to a cedar than I saw the deer crossing the drainage right where I'd hoped it would.  At 12 yards it was broadside to me.  There was no cover between him and me.  All I could hope for was for him to turn his head so I could draw.  He turned his head straight to me and bolted.  Instinctively I came to full draw as he passed behind another cedar.  There was too brush on the edge of the thicket where I was standing for a shot.

But, young buck stopped at about 40 yard to turn and look at me.  He did his pawing, head bob thing but was walking toward.  Come on one more step.  Ok, one more step.  I coud begin to feel some pain in my arms as he stepped into an opening.  He was staring straight at me, slightly quartered.  I don't like head on shots even with a scoped rifle.  But, I knew he wasn't coming any closed and that I would have to let my draw down in another 15 or 20 seconds.  That movement would send him running.

I inventoried my anchor points.  Everything felt perfect.  My 25 yard pin was in the middle of his throat/chest about 4 inche below the horizontal line of his spine.  I was as confident as any sight picture I'd ever had on any animal with any weapon.  I took a breath and released.  I saw the fletching flash into my pariphrial vision as I concentrated on the spot.  The flight looked good.  Thud.  The deer jumped the fence onto my neighbors farm, crashing into a small tree when he landed then he was out of sight.  There was some crashing, then all was quiet.  The shot had been 32 paces.

I went to house for coffee.  An hour later I went to look for deer.  He had made it only another 20 yards.  The arrow struck him just above the wishbone severing both coradid arteries and his windpipe then slice the top of his left lung before the broadhead lodged in his shoulder blade.

I'm convinced visualization works.  Or, at least it does for me.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 09:30:13 pm by hedgeapple »
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 08:40:25 am »
Good luck on traditional bow hunting. It really is very challenging in my opinion, that's why most folks hunting with traditional equipment like it I guess.

Most of my shots while deer hunting are 15 yards or less. You have to think ahead and quickly determine where you're going to take your shot. I position my body as soon as I can when I've decided where the shot will occur so that the only movement I have to make when the deer iis near is drawing my bow. You draw your bow only when you're going to shoot...no drawing and holding as can be done with a compound. That's part of the challenge, making the movement required to get the shot at extremely close range without the deer catching you! It's important to wear quiet clothing, and to have a quiet bow. An alerted deer can easily jump the string even at five yards.

In our part of the country the vast majority of bowhunters hunt from a stand. We put a lot of time and thought into the best stand location to get a shot. Cover of some type for the hunter comes into play...sometimes we hang a stand in a large cedar tree to break up our outline. Often a double or triple trunked tree is used for the same reason. At the very least we will pull up cover such as beach branches that will keep their leaves through hunting season, and tie those to the tree behind the stand.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Kegan

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 06:13:08 pm »
Thanks Kegan,  This might sound somewhat crazy and metaphysical, but I'm a big believer in visualization.  I add physical movement to my visualization practices, also. 

Not at all- we all do it from time to time. Howard Hill would shoot imaginary arrows form imaginary bows at moving targets to get it ingrained (I do the same- however I still miss alot; those darn imaginary arrows must not be spined properly ;)).

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 08:32:37 pm »
Hey, I can do that every shot too with an imaginary bow and arrow. A imaginary world record elk too! ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 10:40:13 pm »
Kegan, I nearly blew soda out my nose reading your post.   :D  Sounds like you need to visualize how to image.  haha haha
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 12:27:42 am »
That is nothing bro, I have been doing this so long, now I track imaginary blood trails, and leave imaginary gut piles ;D ;) those imaginay elk quarters are definately lighter than the real ones :o Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Kegan

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 12:22:40 pm »
Kegan, I nearly blew soda out my nose reading your post.   :D  Sounds like you need to visualize how to image.  haha haha

I think I do! I've missed more crows with imaginary arrows than I can count :o :-X

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 12:27:45 pm »
you have to become the arrow, grasshopper! ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC